Re: [XP] Re: Blog post for discussion

  • Tim Ottinger
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2007
      Because the new one may be better
      Because it won't take you as long to learn the second one as it did to learn the first.
      Because your use of the features the new one leaves out might be the reason you're not 10% more productive.
      Because your old one may be losing interest in the community, or maybe should be.
      Because learning new things is fun, especially if you don't have to.
      Because you don't know how much of your work is really your best practice v. what the ide allows.
      Because it's good be able to survive in a different environment.

      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1, 2007
        It would be nice to have enough hours to learn new IDE's
        but I (and most people I know) just don't

        My meat and potatoes; like most; are Java and C#.
        But my IDE's are not the things which cause me the most pain....
        (Granted in C# it was - until Resharper)
        nor is my approach to software development.....

        We all have an opportunity cost of any learning

        I feel I'd be better spending my time:
        - learning to be more effective with Ruby on Rails -
        which gets me much greater efficiencies than JAVA or C# with no ide!!
        - learning how graphic designers layout a page -
        which may (someday) improve my web design
        - learning to efficient with VI/VIM -
        which would help for my remote terminal access
        - learning how to use iText -
        which would prepare me for a bit of work I need to do before the end
        of the year
        - learning more about the differences between fedora 6 and centos 4 -
        which makes life easier when you have to rebuild a system at 11 o'clock
        at night.
        - learning how to better use Watir -
        because I find it a very effective way of producing automated customer
        tests

        Never mind actually writing running tested features!!!!
        I notice a few shamefull facts as well:
        - I'm still using Junit 3.8.1 - because i've never felt there was anything
        wrong with it
        - I'm still using Java 1.5 - because I've just not gotten round to upgrading
        - I've not gotten round to the PragProgs 1 new language each year, because
        it takes me so long to feel like I've mastered any language -
        I'd love to sit down and actually learn Lisp but never seem to have the
        time to give it anything
        other than a passing glance.