Re: Blog post for discussion

  • gregbalajewicz
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 1, 2007
      Well, people are busy.

      Why learn a new IDE (for the same platform/language!) if the one I
      already know works well? I spent years learning how to be eficient in
      it, why do it all over again?

      that I think is the major factor.

      --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "Adrian Mowat"
      <mowat27@...> wrote:

      > Hi all,
      >
      > I just read this article on a blog I subscribe to and I think it
      might
      > interest this group...
      >
      > http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000921.html
      >
      > In summary, if has been found that animals "imprint on the first
      creature
      > they see shortly after birth" and the author of the post argues that
      > developers have a similar reaction to trying new tools. The
      example used is
      > that we might be reluctant to try a new IDE because we are used to
      the one
      > we have always used and are still trying to maximise our
      productivity using
      > it.
      >
      > I believe we often see a similar effect when trying to get an
      organisation
      > to try new Agile ideas - no matter how hard we work to explain the
      benefits.

      > Thoughts?
      >
      > Cheers
      >
      > Adrian

    • William Pietri
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 1, 2007
        George Dinwiddie wrote:
        > In any event, people get stuck on things other than the first thing they do.
        > Virginia Satir said, "Familiarity exerts a powerful pull. What we have
        > observed and experienced day after day exerts a powerful influence. Most
        > people will choose the familiar, even though uncomfortable, over the
        > unfamiliar, because of that power."

        That's sure the truth.

        At the same time I've been teaching myself the whole Ruby on Rails
        thing, I've been teaching a friend Java and TDD. Both of us have years
        of programming experience, and we're both used to being highly
        productive. Jumping into an entirely new toolset can be terribly
        frustrating: nothing is comfortable, and it feels like it takes a
        million years to get anything done.

        Because I've been observing him learning stuff I know well, I can see
        that he's not actually being so unproductive, especially given his pairs
        keep him moving along pretty well. But I can see why he feels so slow.
        He never gets into a flow state, and every damned little thing is a
        struggle instead of a joy.

        For both of us, the pain is worth it, as we're trying to achieve
        something. But the experience has given me new appreciation for how hard
        agile adoptions are, especially when somebody's motivation is external,
        not internal.

        William

        --
        William Pietri - william@... - +1-415-643-1024
        Agile consulting, coaching, and development: http://www.scissor.com/
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 1, 2007
          Adrian Mowat wrote:

          > I just read this article on a blog I subscribe to and I think it might
          > interest this group...
          >
          > http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000921.html
          > <http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000921.html>
          >
          > In summary, if has been found that animals "imprint on the first creature
          > they see shortly after birth" and the author of the post argues that
          > developers have a similar reaction to trying new tools. The example used is
          > that we might be reluctant to try a new IDE because we are used to the one
          > we have always used and are still trying to maximise our productivity using
          > it.
          >
          > I believe we often see a similar effect when trying to get an organisation
          > to try new Agile ideas - no matter how hard we work to explain the benefits.
          >
          > Thoughts?

          Yes. I can't get past a fallacy in his argument, specifically:

          "It's impossible to understand the alternatives when you can't muster
          the energy to get past your own software imprinting. You can't
          rationally compare alternatives with no experience in the alternatives,
          and software imprinting robs you of that vital experience."

          Software imprinting does not necessarily rob me of the experience of
          alternatives. I may have to work harder to overcome my own imprinting,
          but that's a long way different from being robbed of the experience of
          alternatives. Moreover, the tendency to stay with what's familiar is a
          personality type, not a universal tendency. Some people are the
          opposite, choosing change for its own sake. Those folks have a tougher
          time settling down with any one experience.

          So while I agree that we need to be aware of our own imprinting, I don't
          think it represents a roadblock we can't overcome. I don't know how to
          help someone else see past their own imprinting, except to make them
          aware it's happening, then wait.

          Take care.
          Your guide to software craftsmanship
        • David Carlton
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 1, 2007
            On Wed, 1 Aug 2007 09:52:27 -0400 (EDT), "George Dinwiddie" <lists@...> said:

            > In any event, people get stuck on things other than the first thing
            > they do. Virginia Satir said, "Familiarity exerts a powerful
            > pull. What we have observed and experienced day after day exerts a
            > powerful influence. Most people will choose the familiar, even
            > though uncomfortable, over the unfamiliar, because of that power."

            I liked the bit in QSM v.4 where Weinberg was talking about the Satir
            change model, and basically recommended (if I'm remembering correctly)
            never staying too long in a mastery phase: "New Status Quo", when
            you've become comfortable and productive with a new skill, is great,
            but when it turns into "Old Status Quo", it's not so great. Not only
            does that specific skill lose its freshness and adaptiveness, but your
            skill at change in general will atrophy if it doesn't get used.

            On the same vein, the pragmatics recommend learning a new programming
            language every year.

            David Carlton
            carlton@...
          • George Dinwiddie
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 1, 2007
              David Carlton wrote:
              > On Wed, 1 Aug 2007 09:52:27 -0400 (EDT), "George Dinwiddie" <lists@...> said:
              >
              >> In any event, people get stuck on things other than the first thing
              >> they do. Virginia Satir said, "Familiarity exerts a powerful
              >> pull. What we have observed and experienced day after day exerts a
              >> powerful influence. Most people will choose the familiar, even
              >> though uncomfortable, over the unfamiliar, because of that power."
              >
              > I liked the bit in QSM v.4 where Weinberg was talking about the Satir
              > change model, and basically recommended (if I'm remembering correctly)
              > never staying too long in a mastery phase: "New Status Quo", when
              > you've become comfortable and productive with a new skill, is great,
              > but when it turns into "Old Status Quo", it's not so great. Not only
              > does that specific skill lose its freshness and adaptiveness, but your
              > skill at change in general will atrophy if it doesn't get used.

              Yeah, the difference between a rut and a grave is the depth.

              > On the same vein, the pragmatics recommend learning a new programming
              > language every year.

              Good advice (anyone remember Computer Language magazine?), but there's
              other stuff to learn than just programming languages. Learning just one
              type of new thing is another stuckness.

              - George

            • Ilja Preuss
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 4, 2007
                Hi Joe!

                > I don't know how to
                > help someone else see past their own imprinting, except to make them
                > aware it's happening, then wait.

                Without having read the blog entry, it seems to me that the analogy is
                too simplistic to be helpful in this regard. There are a lot of
                potential reasons to not try something new, and if we understand which
                ones apply, we might be in a better position to decide what to do about it.

                Some reasons might include:

                - I feel that I can't afford to have my effectiveness reduced even for a
                short moment, which trying a new tool certainly will,

                - my learning capacity is limited, and there are other things that look
                more intersting to me,

                - using the current tool is just fine, and I don't feel like I need
                something better,

                - my experience with this kind of tools in the past hasn't been good,

                - people I trust don't use those tools, either,

                - etc. pp.

                I'm sure you can come up with more.

                Regards, Ilja
              • Simon Jones