Re: [XP] Blog post for discussion

  • Tim Ottinger
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2007
      Good example. A lot of people get Windows with their first computer, and never learn a second operating system. I've noticed that people who had trouble acclimating to computers with windows fear that it will be just as hard to switch to Mac or Linux or whatever, because they don't realize that they've learned to use GUIs already, and they've learned to use computers already, and that's separate from the investment in windows. I found switching to be mostly trivial, and mostly beneficial, and not so hard. OTOH, my first OS was TRS-80, third was CP/M and Windows was fifth or sixth.

      But when we think about people not switching IDEs or languages, consider the tenacity with which people cling to their Windows, and the foolishness therein.

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2007
        I find there are two groups of people. Those who think in terms of
        capability and those who think in terms of actions.

        People who think about capability understand that an application *ought* to
        be able to perform a given function and spend their time trying to figure
        out how to do it. People who thing in terms of actions are driven by those
        features of a program they know how to use and either fear to dig deeper or
        it does not occur to them to try.

        Those who think in terms of capabilities are much more able to adapt and
        learn new applications and techniques much more quickly.

        The same goes for trying to teach Agile and/or get existing teams to try new
        techniques. Some people can see there is potential to improve in the status
        quo and are keen to give it a try while others are happy doing things the
        way they always have and need quite a lot of persuading to change.

        Adrian

        On 01/08/07, Tim Ottinger <linux_tim@...> wrote:

        > Good example. A lot of people get Windows with their first computer, and
        > never learn a second operating system. I've noticed that people who had
        > trouble acclimating to computers with windows fear that it will be just as
        > hard to switch to Mac or Linux or whatever, because they don't realize that
        > they've learned to use GUIs already, and they've learned to use computers
        > already, and that's separate from the investment in windows. I found
        > switching to be mostly trivial, and mostly beneficial, and not so hard.
        > OTOH, my first OS was TRS-80, third was CP/M and Windows was fifth or sixth.
        >
        > But when we think about people not switching IDEs or languages, consider
        > the tenacity with which people cling to their Windows, and the foolishness
        > therein.

      • David Carlton
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 1, 2007
          On Wed, 1 Aug 2007 06:08:41 -0700 (PDT), Tim Ottinger <linux_tim@...> said:

          > If you are a good C++ programmer, it may take a while for you to
          > realize that you're a good *programmer* and that some languages
          > (most!) are more fun and productive than C++.

          Nah, C++ is more fun than most languages - it has many more design
          choices than a normal language, so it gives you plenty to think about,
          and there's usually an expressive way to accomplish what you want, so
          you can end up with pleasant code.

          David Carlton
          carlton@...
        • Tim Ottinger
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 1, 2007
            But the hard part is telling a grave from a groove. Sometimes you're in a groove, not a rut.