Re: [XP] Name for "common characteristic of good examples"

  • Peter Dettman
    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 2, 2000
      > I'm looking for a catchy or meaningful word for
      > ["common characteristic of good examples"]
      > which I can apply to any human endeavor or artifact,
      > and which is either fairly clear to the average passerby,
      > or easy to explain.

      Did anyone say 'exemplar' yet?

      ex·em·plar (g-zmplär, -plr)
      n.

      One that is worthy of imitation; a model. See Synonyms at ideal.
      One that is typical or representative; an example.
      An ideal that serves as a pattern; an archetype.
      A copy, as of a book.

      Pete.
    • Peter Dettman
      Message 2 of 25 , Oct 2, 2000
        > One that is worthy of imitation; a model. See Synonyms at ideal.

        Oh yeah, "Ideals" too...

        Pete.
      • Joe Tatem
        Message 3 of 25 , Oct 2, 2000
          Quality without a name?

          Couldn't resist...

          Joe

          Peter Dettman wrote:

          > > One that is worthy of imitation; a model. See Synonyms at ideal.
          >
          > Oh yeah, "Ideals" too...
          >
          > Pete.

          > Ad-free courtesy of objectmentor.com
        • Robert Myers
          Message 4 of 25 , Oct 2, 2000
            Dear Alistair,

            From Merriam-Webster:

            Paragon: A model of excellence or perfection.

            Rob

            PS: I think "Good Thing" has been co-opted by Martha Stewart...
            PPS: If you are, by chance, looking for a good domain name, I can offer you
            only my hopes and good wishes. So many of the domain-name paragons are up
            for auction... ;)
          • Kay Johansen
            Message 5 of 25 , Oct 3, 2000
              acockburn@... wrote:

              > I'm looking for a catchy or meaningful word for
              > ["common characteristic of good examples"]

              > I want to say that I have 50 smores of project managers,
              > and 25 smores of use cases,
              > and 7 smores of sonnets,
              > and 3 smores of friendship.

              Habits?

              -Kay
            • Chris Collins
              Message 6 of 25 , Oct 3, 2000
                archetypical

                ------------------
                Chris Collins <ccollins@...>
                RoleModel Software
                The Extreme Programming Software Studio(TM)
                <http://www.rolemodelsoft.com>
                342 Raleigh St.
                Holly Springs, NC 27540

                Message 7 of 25 , Oct 3, 2000

                  > managers, where a "smore" is a common characteristic of good

                  > examples.

                  </color>Doesn't "knack" come close ? "I collect project managers' 'knacks'."

                  Dictionary definition (meaning 2 is the closest to what you want) :

                  knack (nak) n.

                  1. A clever, expedient way of doing something.

                  2. A specific talent for something, especially one difficult to
                  explain or teach.

                  3. (Archaic.) A cleverly designed device. A knickknack.

                  <nofill>
                  -[Morendil]-
                  Famous Last Words : a wimp like you, a sorcerer ? Ha !
                • Laurent Bossavit
                  Message 8 of 25 , Oct 3, 2000
                    Apologies for the HTML formatting crud in the previous post...

                    -[Morendil]-
                    On a clear disk you can seek forever
                  • Michael C. Feathers
                    Message 9 of 25 , Oct 3, 2000
                      Alistair wrote:
                      > I'm looking for a catchy or meaningful word for
                      > ["common characteristic of good examples"]
                      > which I can apply to any human endeavor or artifact,
                      > and which is either fairly clear to the average passerby,
                      > or easy to explain.
                      > I want to say to that passer by that
                      > I collect "smores" of project managers, where a "smore" is
                      > a common characteristic of good examples.

                      If you want to give a name to the common 'characteristics'
                      of good examples, how about:

                      trinkets,
                      facets,
                      sparkles,
                      glows,
                      gold coins (dubloons)

                      Michael

                      Michael Feathers mfeathers@...
                      Object Mentor Inc. www.objectmentor.com
                      XP & OO Training/Mentoring/Development
                      www.xprogramming.com / www.junit.org
                      "You just keep going all the way, as deep as
                      you can. You keep trying to get right down
                      to the crux." -- John Coltrane
                    • Morris, Chris
                      Message 10 of 25 , Oct 4, 2000
                        > Any ideas, comments, complaints, recommendations?
                        > thanks,

                        How 'bout 'fruit'?

                        Chris
                      • acockburn@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 25 , Oct 4, 2000
                          Thanks so far, peoples. I removed the many synonyms for "good examples",
                          not being the point of the exercise, and sifted out the following
                          suggestions, from
                          Dave Thomas, Ben Kovitz, Michael Feathers, Laurent Bossavit. Evidently this
                          is really really hard, so I don't worry that nothing yet jumps out. In the
                          matter of project management, I can say "tactics and strategies", but of
                          course that doesn't work for use cases.

                          smore
                          gem
                          best practice
                          Ancient Secrets of the Übermeisters!
                          Insights
                          Sine Quae Non
                          Pearls
                          What Makes a Good xxx
                          facets
                          sparkles
                          dubloons
                          knack

                          Imagine an armature for a sculpture, made up of segments put together. Each
                          segment is load bearing, so it actually matters if it is present or not.
                          Then a smore/pearl/dubloon is one such segment. A person builds up a
                          sculpture around the armature, using the armature for stability.
                          I just ran a workshop identifying potential smores, and none of the words
                          hung together right. So I'll keep going. Don't know if an acronym is going
                          to be better, or a simple word with a double meaning, or what. But the
                          speaking is, "OK, we have 23 xxxx's nominated here, let's test them against
                          the others we have." The term must apply equally to sonnets as to use cases
                          as to project management as to project tactics.

                          thanks again,
                          Alistair
                        • Eric Hodges
                          Message 12 of 25 , Oct 4, 2000
                            How about "axiom"?

                            They don't have to be good or right, but one builds on them in a given
                            context.
                          • Phil Goodwin
                            Message 13 of 25 , Oct 4, 2000
                              theme (as in music)
                              principle
                              doctrine
                              value
                              meme
                              aha
                              key
                              trick
                              Element of Good xxx
                              Phil Goodwin, Java Software, Sun Microsystems, 408-517-6951, or x66951

                              "If everything you try works, you aren't trying hard enough." -- Gordon Moore
                            • Robert Leftwich
                              Message 14 of 25 , Oct 4, 2000
                                Fundament ?

                                'An underlying theoretical basis or principle' or 'The part of the body on
                                which one sits' - they both fit the sculpture analogy :-)

                                Robert
                              • Robert Leftwich
                                Message 15 of 25 , Oct 5, 2000
                                  As you/we are having so much trouble naming these characteristics, you
                                  could try not giving them names at all, i.e. 'characteristics without
                                  names'. Since you want to specifically refer to the good characteristics
                                  they could be 'qualities without any names' or the singular 'Quality
                                  Without a Name', which leads to the following :

                                  "OK, we have 23 qwans nominated here, let's test them against the others we
                                  have."

                                  Robert
                                • Steve Goodhall
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Oct 7, 2000
                                    Let's give this a new flavor. How about "eigenshaften". That's German for
                                    qualities or attributes.

                                    Steve Goodhall
                                    mailto:SGoodhall@...
                                    http:/members.home.net/sgoodhall/
                                    Sooner or later, all this planning has to degenerate into work. - Peter
                                    Drucker

                                  • patmaron@altavista.com
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Oct 25, 2000
                                      How about calling them COGS (Characteristics Of Good exampleS)?

                                    • mshaynes@bryancavellp.com
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Nov 1, 2000
                                        As a newbie to the list, I'll keep it quick: I like Axiom, Tenet,
                                        and Jordan.

                                        (sorry if this qualifies as "posting 'me too!' like some lame
                                        AOL'er", this is a great thread!)