Business and Software Perspectives Re: [XP] Defining Agile (feedback via running software)

  • Robert Biddle
    Message 1 of 503 , Jul 28, 2007
      I've changed the subject line because we are now some distance
      from the orginal topic.

      I think Steve's view on this is very reasonable, as are Joe's
      comments. The idea seems to relate to the idea of doing a service,
      vs. being done a service.

      So, for example, when the software people are seen as doing a service
      for the business people (as is common), there do seem to be different
      perspectives on the exchange. So, the business people pay money, and the
      software people provide a service, which is of utility to the business.

      In my "Pat and Sandy" stories, I suggested this could be done the other
      way, too. If the software people have some cool technology, they might
      pay some business people to help them make money from the idea. So in
      this case, following Steve's suggestion, the business people might need
      to get more details from the software people, and themselves provide
      less. Does that make sense?

      And, of course, if it was some kind of joint venture, then they would be
      in balance.

      The crux of the idea seems to be that someome "providing a service" is
      mostly interested in the overall outcome inasmuch as it satisfies
      someone else. Does that make sense?

      Cheers
      Robert

      Steven Gordon wrote:

      > Do you really believe that when I say the /level of detail/ is /more
      > critical/ in one direction than the other, that I am saying that there
      > should be no communication at all in the other direction?
      >
      > The lawyer needs more details about our situation and objectives to give
      > good advice than we need about the legal precedents that his advice depends
      > on in order to apply that advice. If we ask for it, he should be able to
      > point us to at least a solid week's worth of reading.
      >
      > The doctor needs more details about our symptoms and health metrics and
      > history to make a good diagnosis than we need about the medical research
      > that underlies his advice in order to apply that advice. If we ask for it,
      > he should be able to point us to at least a solid week's worth of reading.
      >
      > This does not mean that there is no communication in the other direction,
      > just less detail.
      >
      > And this is the case between the development team and the customer. Vital
      > communication in both directions, but much more detail in the communication
      > from customer to development team. If the customer really wants to know
      > more detail about our design decisions, we can provide it.
      >
      > Steve
    • Bob Payne
      Message 503 of 503 , Sep 12, 2007
        Dear Xpers,

        Ever wanted an Agile Planning/Development class with a real customer.
        Interested in learning Rails Development working from real examples
        on a real Open Source project.

        Real Training
        Real Projects
        Real Impact
        ... Get Real!

        -------- THE LAB ---------

        Code Green Labs (http://codegreenlabs.com) is offering Agile Planning/
        Rails Lab in Washington DC, November, 1-4, 2007.
        This lab will be held on the campus of Georgetown University and is
        hosted by the Center for New Designs in Learning and
        Scholarship.

        During this lab we will work directly with Segundo Velasquez from
        Mano a Mano to define the first release of their Donor
        Information and Online Donation application. Mano a Mano will use
        this application to communicate the status of their
        many ongoing projects to donors and potential donors. This
        application will be released as an Open Source project to help
        other not for profits achieve their goals. The mission of Mano a
        Mano Medical Resources is to create partnerships with
        impoverished Bolivian communities that improve health and increase
        economic well-being. Mano a Mano has been guided
        by the simple yet powerful premise that groups of committed
        volunteers can reach across national boundaries to make a
        dramatic difference in the lives of others.

        Segundo gave and interview and talk at Agile2007 and that interview
        can be found here.

        http://agiletoolkit.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=255315

        -------- SCHEDULE AND COST ---------

        November 1 - Agile Planning Lab
        - Envisioning, Story Writing, Estimation, Release Planning,
        Customer Test Definintion
        November 2-4 - Agile Rails Lab
        - Agile Software Development Practices and Rails Development
        Attend both Labs and save $300

        Visit http://codegreenlabs.com for more information

        -------- WHO SHOULD ATTEND ---------

        Since software teams are made up of many different disciplines we
        welcome the participation of anyone interested in learning Agile
        Software Delivery including:

        - Developers
        - Testers
        - Analysts
        - Managers
        - Apprentice Agile Coaches

        -------- CODE GREEN LABS ---------

        We are dedicated to creating a unique training experience that uses
        real projects with real deliverables. Labs work on projects that make
        a difference in the world, benefiting organizations that are working
        to improve the environment, human rights, social justice, health and
        economic development. By marrying the efforts of dedicated
        professionals learning Agile Development techniques with not for
        profit and research communities that need high quality software, we
        hope to be a small part of a positive change. Each training class
        will work on a specific software project for a specific cause.

        For more information contact me.
        Bob Payne
        Host AgileToolkit Podcast
        202-903-6854