RE: [XP] Name for "common characteristic of good examples"

  • kjray
    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 1, 2000
      >apotheosis
      >paradigm
      >epitome

      "representative example"

      A methodology book (no longer in print) with the (inappropriate) title of
      "Designing Object Oriented Software for the Macintosh" (it was actually
      platform neutral, and documented a methodology comparable to Booch or
      Rumbaugh, IMHO) described the "analysis layer objects" as often being the
      result of "classification by representative example".

      Unfortunately, I can't find my copy, so I can't find what word it used
      that might be what you're looking for. [The book does go on to say that
      objects and classes defined in the more concrete layers are not expected
      to correlate one-to-one with the "analysis layer objects".]
    • John Brewer
      Message 2 of 25 , Oct 2, 2000
        I'd have to go with "best practices".

        --- In extremeprogramming@egroups.com, acockburn@a... wrote:
        > I want to say that I have 50 [best practices] of project
        managers,
        > and 25 [best practices] of use cases,
        > and 7 [best practices] of sonnets,
        > and 3 [best practices] of friendship.

        Hmmm.... Not perfect, but not bad. The only other thing I can think
        of is "patterns". You could combine them, as Kent did, into "best
        practice patterns".

        John Brewer
        Jera Design
      • Peter Dettman
        Message 3 of 25 , Oct 2, 2000
          > I'm looking for a catchy or meaningful word for
          > ["common characteristic of good examples"]
          > which I can apply to any human endeavor or artifact,
          > and which is either fairly clear to the average passerby,
          > or easy to explain.

          Did anyone say 'exemplar' yet?

          ex·em·plar (g-zmplär, -plr)
          n.

          One that is worthy of imitation; a model. See Synonyms at ideal.
          One that is typical or representative; an example.
          An ideal that serves as a pattern; an archetype.
          A copy, as of a book.

          Pete.
        • Peter Dettman
          Message 4 of 25 , Oct 2, 2000
            > One that is worthy of imitation; a model. See Synonyms at ideal.

            Oh yeah, "Ideals" too...

            Pete.
          • Joe Tatem
            Message 5 of 25 , Oct 2, 2000
              Quality without a name?

              Couldn't resist...

              Joe

              Peter Dettman wrote:

              > > One that is worthy of imitation; a model. See Synonyms at ideal.
              >
              > Oh yeah, "Ideals" too...
              >
              > Pete.

              > Ad-free courtesy of objectmentor.com
            • Robert Myers
              Message 6 of 25 , Oct 2, 2000
                Dear Alistair,

                From Merriam-Webster:

                Paragon: A model of excellence or perfection.

                Rob

                PS: I think "Good Thing" has been co-opted by Martha Stewart...
                PPS: If you are, by chance, looking for a good domain name, I can offer you
                only my hopes and good wishes. So many of the domain-name paragons are up
                for auction... ;)
              • Kay Johansen
                Message 7 of 25 , Oct 3, 2000
                  acockburn@... wrote:

                  > I'm looking for a catchy or meaningful word for
                  > ["common characteristic of good examples"]

                  > I want to say that I have 50 smores of project managers,
                  > and 25 smores of use cases,
                  > and 7 smores of sonnets,
                  > and 3 smores of friendship.

                  Habits?

                  -Kay
                • Chris Collins
                  Message 8 of 25 , Oct 3, 2000
                    archetypical

                    ------------------
                    Chris Collins <ccollins@...>
                    RoleModel Software
                    The Extreme Programming Software Studio(TM)
                    <http://www.rolemodelsoft.com>
                    342 Raleigh St.
                    Holly Springs, NC 27540

                    Message 9 of 25 , Oct 3, 2000

                      > managers, where a "smore" is a common characteristic of good

                      > examples.

                      </color>Doesn't "knack" come close ? "I collect project managers' 'knacks'."

                      Dictionary definition (meaning 2 is the closest to what you want) :

                      knack (nak) n.

                      1. A clever, expedient way of doing something.

                      2. A specific talent for something, especially one difficult to
                      explain or teach.

                      3. (Archaic.) A cleverly designed device. A knickknack.

                      <nofill>
                      -[Morendil]-
                      Famous Last Words : a wimp like you, a sorcerer ? Ha !
                    • Laurent Bossavit
                      Message 10 of 25 , Oct 3, 2000
                        Apologies for the HTML formatting crud in the previous post...

                        -[Morendil]-
                        On a clear disk you can seek forever
                      • Michael C. Feathers
                        Message 11 of 25 , Oct 3, 2000
                          Alistair wrote:
                          > I'm looking for a catchy or meaningful word for
                          > ["common characteristic of good examples"]
                          > which I can apply to any human endeavor or artifact,
                          > and which is either fairly clear to the average passerby,
                          > or easy to explain.
                          > I want to say to that passer by that
                          > I collect "smores" of project managers, where a "smore" is
                          > a common characteristic of good examples.

                          If you want to give a name to the common 'characteristics'
                          of good examples, how about:

                          trinkets,
                          facets,
                          sparkles,
                          glows,
                          gold coins (dubloons)

                          Michael

                          Michael Feathers mfeathers@...
                          Object Mentor Inc. www.objectmentor.com
                          XP & OO Training/Mentoring/Development
                          www.xprogramming.com / www.junit.org
                          "You just keep going all the way, as deep as
                          you can. You keep trying to get right down
                          to the crux." -- John Coltrane
                        • Morris, Chris
                          Message 12 of 25 , Oct 4, 2000
                            > Any ideas, comments, complaints, recommendations?
                            > thanks,

                            How 'bout 'fruit'?

                            Chris
                          • acockburn@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 25 , Oct 4, 2000
                              Thanks so far, peoples. I removed the many synonyms for "good examples",
                              not being the point of the exercise, and sifted out the following
                              suggestions, from
                              Dave Thomas, Ben Kovitz, Michael Feathers, Laurent Bossavit. Evidently this
                              is really really hard, so I don't worry that nothing yet jumps out. In the
                              matter of project management, I can say "tactics and strategies", but of
                              course that doesn't work for use cases.

                              smore
                              gem
                              best practice
                              Ancient Secrets of the Übermeisters!
                              Insights
                              Sine Quae Non
                              Pearls
                              What Makes a Good xxx
                              facets
                              sparkles
                              dubloons
                              knack

                              Imagine an armature for a sculpture, made up of segments put together. Each
                              segment is load bearing, so it actually matters if it is present or not.
                              Then a smore/pearl/dubloon is one such segment. A person builds up a
                              sculpture around the armature, using the armature for stability.
                              I just ran a workshop identifying potential smores, and none of the words
                              hung together right. So I'll keep going. Don't know if an acronym is going
                              to be better, or a simple word with a double meaning, or what. But the
                              speaking is, "OK, we have 23 xxxx's nominated here, let's test them against
                              the others we have." The term must apply equally to sonnets as to use cases
                              as to project management as to project tactics.

                              thanks again,
                              Alistair
                            • Eric Hodges
                              Message 14 of 25 , Oct 4, 2000
                                How about "axiom"?

                                They don't have to be good or right, but one builds on them in a given
                                context.
                              • Phil Goodwin
                                Message 15 of 25 , Oct 4, 2000
                                  theme (as in music)
                                  principle
                                  doctrine
                                  value
                                  meme
                                  aha
                                  key
                                  trick
                                  Element of Good xxx
                                  Phil Goodwin, Java Software, Sun Microsystems, 408-517-6951, or x66951

                                  "If everything you try works, you aren't trying hard enough." -- Gordon Moore
                                • Robert Leftwich
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Oct 4, 2000
                                    Fundament ?

                                    'An underlying theoretical basis or principle' or 'The part of the body on
                                    which one sits' - they both fit the sculpture analogy :-)

                                    Robert
                                  • Robert Leftwich
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Oct 5, 2000
                                      As you/we are having so much trouble naming these characteristics, you
                                      could try not giving them names at all, i.e. 'characteristics without
                                      names'. Since you want to specifically refer to the good characteristics
                                      they could be 'qualities without any names' or the singular 'Quality
                                      Without a Name', which leads to the following :

                                      "OK, we have 23 qwans nominated here, let's test them against the others we
                                      have."

                                      Robert
                                    • Steve Goodhall
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Oct 7, 2000
                                        Let's give this a new flavor. How about "eigenshaften". That's German for
                                        qualities or attributes.

                                        Steve Goodhall
                                        mailto:SGoodhall@...
                                        http:/members.home.net/sgoodhall/
                                        Sooner or later, all this planning has to degenerate into work. - Peter
                                        Drucker

                                      • patmaron@altavista.com
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Oct 25, 2000
                                          How about calling them COGS (Characteristics Of Good exampleS)?

                                        • mshaynes@bryancavellp.com
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Nov 1, 2000
                                            As a newbie to the list, I'll keep it quick: I like Axiom, Tenet,
                                            and Jordan.

                                            (sorry if this qualifies as "posting 'me too!' like some lame
                                            AOL'er", this is a great thread!)