Re: [XP] Name for "common characteristic of good examples"

  • Dave Thomas
    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 1, 2000
      acockburn@... writes:

      > I'm looking for a catchy or meaningful word for
      > ["common characteristic of good examples"]

      pragma
      archetype
      gem
      best practice

      ?
    • kjray
      Message 2 of 25 , Oct 1, 2000
        >apotheosis
        >paradigm
        >epitome

        "representative example"

        A methodology book (no longer in print) with the (inappropriate) title of
        "Designing Object Oriented Software for the Macintosh" (it was actually
        platform neutral, and documented a methodology comparable to Booch or
        Rumbaugh, IMHO) described the "analysis layer objects" as often being the
        result of "classification by representative example".

        Unfortunately, I can't find my copy, so I can't find what word it used
        that might be what you're looking for. [The book does go on to say that
        objects and classes defined in the more concrete layers are not expected
        to correlate one-to-one with the "analysis layer objects".]
      • John Brewer
        Message 3 of 25 , Oct 2, 2000
          I'd have to go with "best practices".

          --- In extremeprogramming@egroups.com, acockburn@a... wrote:
          > I want to say that I have 50 [best practices] of project
          managers,
          > and 25 [best practices] of use cases,
          > and 7 [best practices] of sonnets,
          > and 3 [best practices] of friendship.

          Hmmm.... Not perfect, but not bad. The only other thing I can think
          of is "patterns". You could combine them, as Kent did, into "best
          practice patterns".

          John Brewer
          Jera Design
        • Peter Dettman
          Message 4 of 25 , Oct 2, 2000
            > I'm looking for a catchy or meaningful word for
            > ["common characteristic of good examples"]
            > which I can apply to any human endeavor or artifact,
            > and which is either fairly clear to the average passerby,
            > or easy to explain.

            Did anyone say 'exemplar' yet?

            ex·em·plar (g-zmplär, -plr)
            n.

            One that is worthy of imitation; a model. See Synonyms at ideal.
            One that is typical or representative; an example.
            An ideal that serves as a pattern; an archetype.
            A copy, as of a book.

            Pete.
          • Peter Dettman
            Message 5 of 25 , Oct 2, 2000
              > One that is worthy of imitation; a model. See Synonyms at ideal.

              Oh yeah, "Ideals" too...

              Pete.
            • Joe Tatem
              Message 6 of 25 , Oct 2, 2000
                Quality without a name?

                Couldn't resist...

                Joe

                Peter Dettman wrote:

                > > One that is worthy of imitation; a model. See Synonyms at ideal.
                >
                > Oh yeah, "Ideals" too...
                >
                > Pete.

                > Ad-free courtesy of objectmentor.com
              • Robert Myers
                Message 7 of 25 , Oct 2, 2000
                  Dear Alistair,

                  From Merriam-Webster:

                  Paragon: A model of excellence or perfection.

                  Rob

                  PS: I think "Good Thing" has been co-opted by Martha Stewart...
                  PPS: If you are, by chance, looking for a good domain name, I can offer you
                  only my hopes and good wishes. So many of the domain-name paragons are up
                  for auction... ;)
                • Kay Johansen
                  Message 8 of 25 , Oct 3, 2000
                    acockburn@... wrote:

                    > I'm looking for a catchy or meaningful word for
                    > ["common characteristic of good examples"]

                    > I want to say that I have 50 smores of project managers,
                    > and 25 smores of use cases,
                    > and 7 smores of sonnets,
                    > and 3 smores of friendship.

                    Habits?

                    -Kay
                  • Chris Collins
                    Message 9 of 25 , Oct 3, 2000
                      archetypical

                      ------------------
                      Chris Collins <ccollins@...>
                      RoleModel Software
                      The Extreme Programming Software Studio(TM)
                      <http://www.rolemodelsoft.com>
                      342 Raleigh St.
                      Holly Springs, NC 27540

                      Message 10 of 25 , Oct 3, 2000

                        > managers, where a "smore" is a common characteristic of good

                        > examples.

                        </color>Doesn't "knack" come close ? "I collect project managers' 'knacks'."

                        Dictionary definition (meaning 2 is the closest to what you want) :

                        knack (nak) n.

                        1. A clever, expedient way of doing something.

                        2. A specific talent for something, especially one difficult to
                        explain or teach.

                        3. (Archaic.) A cleverly designed device. A knickknack.

                        <nofill>
                        -[Morendil]-
                        Famous Last Words : a wimp like you, a sorcerer ? Ha !
                      • Laurent Bossavit
                        Message 11 of 25 , Oct 3, 2000
                          Apologies for the HTML formatting crud in the previous post...

                          -[Morendil]-
                          On a clear disk you can seek forever
                        • Michael C. Feathers
                          Message 12 of 25 , Oct 3, 2000
                            Alistair wrote:
                            > I'm looking for a catchy or meaningful word for
                            > ["common characteristic of good examples"]
                            > which I can apply to any human endeavor or artifact,
                            > and which is either fairly clear to the average passerby,
                            > or easy to explain.
                            > I want to say to that passer by that
                            > I collect "smores" of project managers, where a "smore" is
                            > a common characteristic of good examples.

                            If you want to give a name to the common 'characteristics'
                            of good examples, how about:

                            trinkets,
                            facets,
                            sparkles,
                            glows,
                            gold coins (dubloons)

                            Michael

                            Michael Feathers mfeathers@...
                            Object Mentor Inc. www.objectmentor.com
                            XP & OO Training/Mentoring/Development
                            www.xprogramming.com / www.junit.org
                            "You just keep going all the way, as deep as
                            you can. You keep trying to get right down
                            to the crux." -- John Coltrane
                          • Morris, Chris
                            Message 13 of 25 , Oct 4, 2000
                              > Any ideas, comments, complaints, recommendations?
                              > thanks,

                              How 'bout 'fruit'?

                              Chris
                            • acockburn@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 25 , Oct 4, 2000
                                Thanks so far, peoples. I removed the many synonyms for "good examples",
                                not being the point of the exercise, and sifted out the following
                                suggestions, from
                                Dave Thomas, Ben Kovitz, Michael Feathers, Laurent Bossavit. Evidently this
                                is really really hard, so I don't worry that nothing yet jumps out. In the
                                matter of project management, I can say "tactics and strategies", but of
                                course that doesn't work for use cases.

                                smore
                                gem
                                best practice
                                Ancient Secrets of the Übermeisters!
                                Insights
                                Sine Quae Non
                                Pearls
                                What Makes a Good xxx
                                facets
                                sparkles
                                dubloons
                                knack

                                Imagine an armature for a sculpture, made up of segments put together. Each
                                segment is load bearing, so it actually matters if it is present or not.
                                Then a smore/pearl/dubloon is one such segment. A person builds up a
                                sculpture around the armature, using the armature for stability.
                                I just ran a workshop identifying potential smores, and none of the words
                                hung together right. So I'll keep going. Don't know if an acronym is going
                                to be better, or a simple word with a double meaning, or what. But the
                                speaking is, "OK, we have 23 xxxx's nominated here, let's test them against
                                the others we have." The term must apply equally to sonnets as to use cases
                                as to project management as to project tactics.

                                thanks again,
                                Alistair
                              • Eric Hodges
                                Message 15 of 25 , Oct 4, 2000
                                  How about "axiom"?

                                  They don't have to be good or right, but one builds on them in a given
                                  context.
                                • Phil Goodwin
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Oct 4, 2000
                                    theme (as in music)
                                    principle
                                    doctrine
                                    value
                                    meme
                                    aha
                                    key
                                    trick
                                    Element of Good xxx
                                    Phil Goodwin, Java Software, Sun Microsystems, 408-517-6951, or x66951

                                    "If everything you try works, you aren't trying hard enough." -- Gordon Moore
                                  • Robert Leftwich
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Oct 4, 2000
                                      Fundament ?

                                      'An underlying theoretical basis or principle' or 'The part of the body on
                                      which one sits' - they both fit the sculpture analogy :-)

                                      Robert
                                    • Robert Leftwich
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Oct 5, 2000
                                        As you/we are having so much trouble naming these characteristics, you
                                        could try not giving them names at all, i.e. 'characteristics without
                                        names'. Since you want to specifically refer to the good characteristics
                                        they could be 'qualities without any names' or the singular 'Quality
                                        Without a Name', which leads to the following :

                                        "OK, we have 23 qwans nominated here, let's test them against the others we
                                        have."

                                        Robert
                                      • Steve Goodhall
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Oct 7, 2000
                                          Let's give this a new flavor. How about "eigenshaften". That's German for
                                          qualities or attributes.

                                          Steve Goodhall
                                          mailto:SGoodhall@...
                                          http:/members.home.net/sgoodhall/
                                          Sooner or later, all this planning has to degenerate into work. - Peter
                                          Drucker

                                        • patmaron@altavista.com
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Oct 25, 2000
                                            How about calling them COGS (Characteristics Of Good exampleS)?

                                          • mshaynes@bryancavellp.com
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Nov 1, 2000
                                              As a newbie to the list, I'll keep it quick: I like Axiom, Tenet,
                                              and Jordan.

                                              (sorry if this qualifies as "posting 'me too!' like some lame
                                              AOL'er", this is a great thread!)