ALI Principles of the Law of Software Contracts

  • Cem Kaner
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 24, 2007
      New discussion group:

      At the Conference of the Association for Software Testing, I presented
      an introduction to the Principles of the Law of Software Contracts, a
      project-in-the-works of the American Law Institute that I believe will
      frame this decade's (2006-2016) debate over the regulation / enforcement
      of software contracts in the USA. For more information, see my blog,
      http://www.satisfice.com/kaner/?p=19 and my CAST slides,
      http://www.kaner.com/pdfs/Law%20of%20Software%20Contracting.pdf

      The ALI is open to critical feedback of its drafts. The Principles
      project will continue for several years.

      The ALI is an association of lawyers, not software developers. If you
      want the law to sensibly guide development practice, you’re going to
      have to help these lawyers figure out what the implications of their
      proposals are and, where those implications are bad, what tweaks they
      might make to achieve their objectives more cleanly.

      Note: Free Software Contracts are software contracts too. The same laws
      that govern enforceability of Microsoft’s software licenses govern the
      free software licenses. If you don’t think that gives people a chance to
      make mischief for GPL and Creative Commons, well, think again.

      My goal is for this list to help people develop feedback memos for
      review by the ALI drafting committee.

      Membership in this list is open, but messages are tightly moderated. I
      expect a relatively low volume list with zero spam and reasonably
      collegial discussion. I am not at all opposed to the idea of developing
      contradictory sets of comments for ALI (one group submits one set,
      another group submits another set that completely disagrees with the
      first) but I will push for development of comments that are well
      reasoned and well supported by facts.

      -- Cem Kaner

      --
      Cem Kaner, J.D., Ph.D.
      Professor of Software Engineering, Florida Institute of Technology