Team Implosion

  • Gary Brown
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 23, 2007
      One of our teams imploded last week, due to a personality clash
      between the current team captain and the previous team captain. This
      has been festering for a while, but finally blew up when the team
      members went to their manager and demanded that he do something about
      it. They had tried to work through it, raised the issues in
      retrospectives and in performance appraisals, but it just got worse.
      They wanted a new captain and both parties reassigned.

      I think that the manager had a great response to the crisis. He
      gathered the other five team captains, and had the team make their
      case. He asked the team members to leave the room, and then asked the
      team captains to come up with a solution. Within a few minutes, they
      found new spots for the two displaced teammates, and promised to find
      volunteers to backfill the original team.

      Note - team captains are an adjustment for local conditions - this
      manager insists on having a single point of contact on each team for
      administrative communication.

      GB.
    • David H.
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 23, 2007
        > Note - team captains are an adjustment for local conditions - this
        > manager insists on having a single point of contact on each team for
        > administrative communication.

        Hello. Because I am curious and this is a rather odd behaviour, why do
        you feel that manager insists on that single point of contact?

        benefit and harm." - Sun Tzu
      • Gary Brown
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 23, 2007
          Quoting "David H." <dmalloc@...>:

          >> Note - team captains are an adjustment for local conditions - this
          >> manager insists on having a single point of contact on each team for
          >> administrative communication.
          >>
          > Hello. Because I am curious and this is a rather odd behaviour, why do
          > you feel that manager insists on that single point of contact?

          It's one of the last remnants of command and control. To a certain
          extent, I can understand it, he has 41 direct reports.

          GB.
        • Amir Kolsky
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 23, 2007
            Sigh,
            The classic management structure...

            The fun

          • Simon Jones
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 4, 2007
              --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "Amir Kolsky"
              <kolsky@...> wrote:

              > Sigh,
              > The classic management structure...
              >
              > The fun

              If the guy already has so many line-reports then I fail to see the
              problem with a single point of contact.

              Its got sweet f.a. to do with 'classic management structure' and
              everything to do with 'just being practical and pragmatic'.

              Simon