Re: [XP] Name for "common characteristic of good examples"

  • Kevin Smith
    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 1, 2000
      > I'm looking for a catchy or meaningful word for
      > ["common characteristic of good examples"]
      > which I can apply to any human endeavor or artifact,
      > and which is either fairly clear to the average passerby,
      > or easy to explain.
      > I want to say to that passer by that
      > I collect "smores" of project managers, where a "smore" is
      > a common characteristic of good examples.
      > I want to say that I have 50 smores of project managers,
      > and 25 smores of use cases,
      > and 7 smores of sonnets,
      > and 3 smores of friendship.
      >
      > But of course I don't think the word "smore" will carry. I've slogged
      > through my
      > thesaurus and gotten catchy and cute, but not turned
      > up a word I feel I can slide into a conversation with an arbitraty public.
      >
      > Any ideas, comments, complaints, recommendations?
      > thanks,

      The first word that popped into my head was "nuggets", but I don't
      think that's quite what you need.

      Next I was drawn toward something related to attributes (e.g. Good
      attributes or Strong attributes). But you wanted one word.

      Best Practices also seems related (and is widely known), so you
      might be able to spin something off that.

      How about calling them "yeps", as in "yep, that's a good thing"? Or
      "yups" if you prefer. Or maybe "GoodThing" is even better.

      Let us know if your bulb lights up.

      Kevin
    • Steve Goodhall
      Message 2 of 25 , Oct 1, 2000
        I will apologize in advance for the rather obscure and erudite nature of
        these words. Before I became a techie, I was the victim of a classical
        education. Even I will have to admit that if you use these, you will spend
        a lot of time explaining what they mean. My own view is that "paradigm" has
        been overused by the business reengineering people. I like "apotheosis",
        but depending on where you want to use it, the religious element might be
        excessive. I would go with "epitome".

        apotheosis
        1. elevation to the status of a god.
        2. a perfect or ideal example; epitome. Example She is the apotheosis of
        motherhood ; The book is an apotheosis of scholarship.

        paradigm
        1. an example, model, pattern, or the like.
        2. in grammar, an example of a conjugation or declension, listing all the
        inflected forms of a word.

        epitome
        1. a person, thing, or action that represents the essence, or serves as the
        purest example, of some quality or type.
        2. a brief summary that gives the essence of a longer work.

        Steve Goodhall
        mailto:SGoodhall@...
        http:/members.home.net/sgoodhall/
        Sooner or later, all this planning has to degenerate into work. - Peter
        Drucker

        I'm looking for a catchy or meaningful word for
        ["common characteristic of good examples"]
        which I can apply to any human endeavor or artifact,
        and which is either fairly clear to the average passerby,
        or easy to explain.
        I want to say to that passer by that
        I collect "smores" of project managers, where a "smore" is
        a common characteristic of good examples.
        I want to say that I have 50 smores of project managers,
        and 25 smores of use cases,
        and 7 smores of sonnets,
        and 3 smores of friendship.

        But of course I don't think the word "smore" will carry. I've slogged
        through my
        thesaurus and gotten catchy and cute, but not turned
        up a word I feel I can slide into a conversation with an arbitraty public.

        Any ideas, comments, complaints, recommendations?
        thanks,

        Alistair

        Ad-free courtesy of objectmentor.com
      • Dave Thomas
        Message 3 of 25 , Oct 1, 2000
          acockburn@... writes:

          > I'm looking for a catchy or meaningful word for
          > ["common characteristic of good examples"]

          pragma
          archetype
          gem
          best practice

          ?
        • kjray
          Message 4 of 25 , Oct 1, 2000
            >apotheosis
            >paradigm
            >epitome

            "representative example"

            A methodology book (no longer in print) with the (inappropriate) title of
            "Designing Object Oriented Software for the Macintosh" (it was actually
            platform neutral, and documented a methodology comparable to Booch or
            Rumbaugh, IMHO) described the "analysis layer objects" as often being the
            result of "classification by representative example".

            Unfortunately, I can't find my copy, so I can't find what word it used
            that might be what you're looking for. [The book does go on to say that
            objects and classes defined in the more concrete layers are not expected
            to correlate one-to-one with the "analysis layer objects".]
          • John Brewer
            Message 5 of 25 , Oct 2, 2000
              I'd have to go with "best practices".

              --- In extremeprogramming@egroups.com, acockburn@a... wrote:
              > I want to say that I have 50 [best practices] of project
              managers,
              > and 25 [best practices] of use cases,
              > and 7 [best practices] of sonnets,
              > and 3 [best practices] of friendship.

              Hmmm.... Not perfect, but not bad. The only other thing I can think
              of is "patterns". You could combine them, as Kent did, into "best
              practice patterns".

              John Brewer
              Jera Design
            • Peter Dettman
              Message 6 of 25 , Oct 2, 2000
                > I'm looking for a catchy or meaningful word for
                > ["common characteristic of good examples"]
                > which I can apply to any human endeavor or artifact,
                > and which is either fairly clear to the average passerby,
                > or easy to explain.

                Did anyone say 'exemplar' yet?

                ex·em·plar (g-zmplär, -plr)
                n.

                One that is worthy of imitation; a model. See Synonyms at ideal.
                One that is typical or representative; an example.
                An ideal that serves as a pattern; an archetype.
                A copy, as of a book.

                Pete.
              • Peter Dettman
                Message 7 of 25 , Oct 2, 2000
                  > One that is worthy of imitation; a model. See Synonyms at ideal.

                  Oh yeah, "Ideals" too...

                  Pete.
                • Joe Tatem
                  Message 8 of 25 , Oct 2, 2000
                    Quality without a name?

                    Couldn't resist...

                    Joe

                    Peter Dettman wrote:

                    > > One that is worthy of imitation; a model. See Synonyms at ideal.
                    >
                    > Oh yeah, "Ideals" too...
                    >
                    > Pete.

                    > Ad-free courtesy of objectmentor.com
                  • Robert Myers
                    Message 9 of 25 , Oct 2, 2000
                      Dear Alistair,

                      From Merriam-Webster:

                      Paragon: A model of excellence or perfection.

                      Rob

                      PS: I think "Good Thing" has been co-opted by Martha Stewart...
                      PPS: If you are, by chance, looking for a good domain name, I can offer you
                      only my hopes and good wishes. So many of the domain-name paragons are up
                      for auction... ;)
                    • Kay Johansen
                      Message 10 of 25 , Oct 3, 2000
                        acockburn@... wrote:

                        > I'm looking for a catchy or meaningful word for
                        > ["common characteristic of good examples"]

                        > I want to say that I have 50 smores of project managers,
                        > and 25 smores of use cases,
                        > and 7 smores of sonnets,
                        > and 3 smores of friendship.

                        Habits?

                        -Kay
                      • Chris Collins
                        Message 11 of 25 , Oct 3, 2000
                          archetypical

                          ------------------
                          Chris Collins <ccollins@...>
                          RoleModel Software
                          The Extreme Programming Software Studio(TM)
                          <http://www.rolemodelsoft.com>
                          342 Raleigh St.
                          Holly Springs, NC 27540

                          Message 12 of 25 , Oct 3, 2000

                            > managers, where a "smore" is a common characteristic of good

                            > examples.

                            </color>Doesn't "knack" come close ? "I collect project managers' 'knacks'."

                            Dictionary definition (meaning 2 is the closest to what you want) :

                            knack (nak) n.

                            1. A clever, expedient way of doing something.

                            2. A specific talent for something, especially one difficult to
                            explain or teach.

                            3. (Archaic.) A cleverly designed device. A knickknack.

                            <nofill>
                            -[Morendil]-
                            Famous Last Words : a wimp like you, a sorcerer ? Ha !
                          • Laurent Bossavit
                            Message 13 of 25 , Oct 3, 2000
                              Apologies for the HTML formatting crud in the previous post...

                              -[Morendil]-
                              On a clear disk you can seek forever
                            • Michael C. Feathers
                              Message 14 of 25 , Oct 3, 2000
                                Alistair wrote:
                                > I'm looking for a catchy or meaningful word for
                                > ["common characteristic of good examples"]
                                > which I can apply to any human endeavor or artifact,
                                > and which is either fairly clear to the average passerby,
                                > or easy to explain.
                                > I want to say to that passer by that
                                > I collect "smores" of project managers, where a "smore" is
                                > a common characteristic of good examples.

                                If you want to give a name to the common 'characteristics'
                                of good examples, how about:

                                trinkets,
                                facets,
                                sparkles,
                                glows,
                                gold coins (dubloons)

                                Michael

                                Michael Feathers mfeathers@...
                                Object Mentor Inc. www.objectmentor.com
                                XP & OO Training/Mentoring/Development
                                www.xprogramming.com / www.junit.org
                                "You just keep going all the way, as deep as
                                you can. You keep trying to get right down
                                to the crux." -- John Coltrane
                              • Morris, Chris
                                Message 15 of 25 , Oct 4, 2000
                                  > Any ideas, comments, complaints, recommendations?
                                  > thanks,

                                  How 'bout 'fruit'?

                                  Chris
                                • acockburn@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Oct 4, 2000
                                    Thanks so far, peoples. I removed the many synonyms for "good examples",
                                    not being the point of the exercise, and sifted out the following
                                    suggestions, from
                                    Dave Thomas, Ben Kovitz, Michael Feathers, Laurent Bossavit. Evidently this
                                    is really really hard, so I don't worry that nothing yet jumps out. In the
                                    matter of project management, I can say "tactics and strategies", but of
                                    course that doesn't work for use cases.

                                    smore
                                    gem
                                    best practice
                                    Ancient Secrets of the Übermeisters!
                                    Insights
                                    Sine Quae Non
                                    Pearls
                                    What Makes a Good xxx
                                    facets
                                    sparkles
                                    dubloons
                                    knack

                                    Imagine an armature for a sculpture, made up of segments put together. Each
                                    segment is load bearing, so it actually matters if it is present or not.
                                    Then a smore/pearl/dubloon is one such segment. A person builds up a
                                    sculpture around the armature, using the armature for stability.
                                    I just ran a workshop identifying potential smores, and none of the words
                                    hung together right. So I'll keep going. Don't know if an acronym is going
                                    to be better, or a simple word with a double meaning, or what. But the
                                    speaking is, "OK, we have 23 xxxx's nominated here, let's test them against
                                    the others we have." The term must apply equally to sonnets as to use cases
                                    as to project management as to project tactics.

                                    thanks again,
                                    Alistair
                                  • Eric Hodges
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Oct 4, 2000
                                      How about "axiom"?

                                      They don't have to be good or right, but one builds on them in a given
                                      context.
                                    • Phil Goodwin
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Oct 4, 2000
                                        theme (as in music)
                                        principle
                                        doctrine
                                        value
                                        meme
                                        aha
                                        key
                                        trick
                                        Element of Good xxx
                                        Phil Goodwin, Java Software, Sun Microsystems, 408-517-6951, or x66951

                                        "If everything you try works, you aren't trying hard enough." -- Gordon Moore
                                      • Robert Leftwich
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Oct 4, 2000
                                          Fundament ?

                                          'An underlying theoretical basis or principle' or 'The part of the body on
                                          which one sits' - they both fit the sculpture analogy :-)

                                          Robert
                                        • Robert Leftwich
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Oct 5, 2000
                                            As you/we are having so much trouble naming these characteristics, you
                                            could try not giving them names at all, i.e. 'characteristics without
                                            names'. Since you want to specifically refer to the good characteristics
                                            they could be 'qualities without any names' or the singular 'Quality
                                            Without a Name', which leads to the following :

                                            "OK, we have 23 qwans nominated here, let's test them against the others we
                                            have."

                                            Robert
                                          • Steve Goodhall

                                            • patmaron@altavista.com
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Oct 25, 2000
                                                How about calling them COGS (Characteristics Of Good exampleS)?

                                              • mshaynes@bryancavellp.com
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Nov 1, 2000
                                                  As a newbie to the list, I'll keep it quick: I like Axiom, Tenet,
                                                  and Jordan.

                                                  (sorry if this qualifies as "posting 'me too!' like some lame
                                                  AOL'er", this is a great thread!)