Re: Name for "common characteristic of good examples"

  • Jason Yip
    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 1, 2000
      --- In extremeprogramming@egroups.com, acockburn@a... wrote:
      > I'm looking for a catchy or meaningful word for
      > ["common characteristic of good examples"]
      > which I can apply to any human endeavor or artifact,
      > and which is either fairly clear to the average passerby,
      > or easy to explain.

      Uh... pattern?

      Second thing that popped in my head was symptom but that has negative
      connotations. Thesaurus brings up "token" and "indication". Which
      makes me think "positive indicator". Then I thought, wait a minute,
      I'm sure White Wolf uses catchy words for positive symptoms so I went
      looking for example character sheets...

      Virtues
      Merits
      Traits (probably "positive traits" is better)

      I vote for virtues.
    • Kevin Smith
      Message 2 of 25 , Oct 1, 2000
        > I'm looking for a catchy or meaningful word for
        > ["common characteristic of good examples"]
        > which I can apply to any human endeavor or artifact,
        > and which is either fairly clear to the average passerby,
        > or easy to explain.
        > I want to say to that passer by that
        > I collect "smores" of project managers, where a "smore" is
        > a common characteristic of good examples.
        > I want to say that I have 50 smores of project managers,
        > and 25 smores of use cases,
        > and 7 smores of sonnets,
        > and 3 smores of friendship.
        >
        > But of course I don't think the word "smore" will carry. I've slogged
        > through my
        > thesaurus and gotten catchy and cute, but not turned
        > up a word I feel I can slide into a conversation with an arbitraty public.
        >
        > Any ideas, comments, complaints, recommendations?
        > thanks,

        The first word that popped into my head was "nuggets", but I don't
        think that's quite what you need.

        Next I was drawn toward something related to attributes (e.g. Good
        attributes or Strong attributes). But you wanted one word.

        Best Practices also seems related (and is widely known), so you
        might be able to spin something off that.

        How about calling them "yeps", as in "yep, that's a good thing"? Or
        "yups" if you prefer. Or maybe "GoodThing" is even better.

        Let us know if your bulb lights up.

        Kevin
      • Steve Goodhall
        Message 3 of 25 , Oct 1, 2000
          I will apologize in advance for the rather obscure and erudite nature of
          these words. Before I became a techie, I was the victim of a classical
          education. Even I will have to admit that if you use these, you will spend
          a lot of time explaining what they mean. My own view is that "paradigm" has
          been overused by the business reengineering people. I like "apotheosis",
          but depending on where you want to use it, the religious element might be
          excessive. I would go with "epitome".

          apotheosis
          1. elevation to the status of a god.
          2. a perfect or ideal example; epitome. Example She is the apotheosis of
          motherhood ; The book is an apotheosis of scholarship.

          paradigm
          1. an example, model, pattern, or the like.
          2. in grammar, an example of a conjugation or declension, listing all the
          inflected forms of a word.

          epitome
          1. a person, thing, or action that represents the essence, or serves as the
          purest example, of some quality or type.
          2. a brief summary that gives the essence of a longer work.

          Steve Goodhall
          mailto:SGoodhall@...
          http:/members.home.net/sgoodhall/
          Sooner or later, all this planning has to degenerate into work. - Peter
          Drucker

          I'm looking for a catchy or meaningful word for
          ["common characteristic of good examples"]
          which I can apply to any human endeavor or artifact,
          and which is either fairly clear to the average passerby,
          or easy to explain.
          I want to say to that passer by that
          I collect "smores" of project managers, where a "smore" is
          a common characteristic of good examples.
          I want to say that I have 50 smores of project managers,
          and 25 smores of use cases,
          and 7 smores of sonnets,
          and 3 smores of friendship.

          But of course I don't think the word "smore" will carry. I've slogged
          through my
          thesaurus and gotten catchy and cute, but not turned
          up a word I feel I can slide into a conversation with an arbitraty public.

          Any ideas, comments, complaints, recommendations?
          thanks,

          Alistair

          Ad-free courtesy of objectmentor.com
        • Dave Thomas
          Message 4 of 25 , Oct 1, 2000
            acockburn@... writes:

            > I'm looking for a catchy or meaningful word for
            > ["common characteristic of good examples"]

            pragma
            archetype
            gem
            best practice

            ?
          • kjray
            Message 5 of 25 , Oct 1, 2000
              >apotheosis
              >paradigm
              >epitome

              "representative example"

              A methodology book (no longer in print) with the (inappropriate) title of
              "Designing Object Oriented Software for the Macintosh" (it was actually
              platform neutral, and documented a methodology comparable to Booch or
              Rumbaugh, IMHO) described the "analysis layer objects" as often being the
              result of "classification by representative example".

              Unfortunately, I can't find my copy, so I can't find what word it used
              that might be what you're looking for. [The book does go on to say that
              objects and classes defined in the more concrete layers are not expected
              to correlate one-to-one with the "analysis layer objects".]
            • John Brewer
              Message 6 of 25 , Oct 2, 2000
                I'd have to go with "best practices".

                --- In extremeprogramming@egroups.com, acockburn@a... wrote:
                > I want to say that I have 50 [best practices] of project
                managers,
                > and 25 [best practices] of use cases,
                > and 7 [best practices] of sonnets,
                > and 3 [best practices] of friendship.

                Hmmm.... Not perfect, but not bad. The only other thing I can think
                of is "patterns". You could combine them, as Kent did, into "best
                practice patterns".

                John Brewer
                Jera Design
              • Peter Dettman
                Message 7 of 25 , Oct 2, 2000
                  > I'm looking for a catchy or meaningful word for
                  > ["common characteristic of good examples"]
                  > which I can apply to any human endeavor or artifact,
                  > and which is either fairly clear to the average passerby,
                  > or easy to explain.

                  Did anyone say 'exemplar' yet?

                  ex·em·plar (g-zmplär, -plr)
                  n.

                  One that is worthy of imitation; a model. See Synonyms at ideal.
                  One that is typical or representative; an example.
                  An ideal that serves as a pattern; an archetype.
                  A copy, as of a book.

                  Pete.
                • Peter Dettman
                  Message 8 of 25 , Oct 2, 2000
                    > One that is worthy of imitation; a model. See Synonyms at ideal.

                    Oh yeah, "Ideals" too...

                    Pete.
                  • Joe Tatem
                    Message 9 of 25 , Oct 2, 2000
                      Quality without a name?

                      Couldn't resist...

                      Joe

                      Peter Dettman wrote:

                      > > One that is worthy of imitation; a model. See Synonyms at ideal.
                      >
                      > Oh yeah, "Ideals" too...
                      >
                      > Pete.

                      > Ad-free courtesy of objectmentor.com
                    • Robert Myers
                      Message 10 of 25 , Oct 2, 2000
                        Dear Alistair,

                        From Merriam-Webster:

                        Paragon: A model of excellence or perfection.

                        Rob

                        PS: I think "Good Thing" has been co-opted by Martha Stewart...
                        PPS: If you are, by chance, looking for a good domain name, I can offer you
                        only my hopes and good wishes. So many of the domain-name paragons are up
                        for auction... ;)
                      • Kay Johansen
                        Message 11 of 25 , Oct 3, 2000
                          acockburn@... wrote:

                          > I'm looking for a catchy or meaningful word for
                          > ["common characteristic of good examples"]

                          > I want to say that I have 50 smores of project managers,
                          > and 25 smores of use cases,
                          > and 7 smores of sonnets,
                          > and 3 smores of friendship.

                          Habits?

                          -Kay
                        • Chris Collins
                          Message 12 of 25 , Oct 3, 2000
                            archetypical

                            ------------------
                            Chris Collins <ccollins@...>
                            RoleModel Software
                            The Extreme Programming Software Studio(TM)
                            <http://www.rolemodelsoft.com>
                            342 Raleigh St.
                            Holly Springs, NC 27540

                            Message 13 of 25 , Oct 3, 2000

                              > managers, where a "smore" is a common characteristic of good

                              > examples.

                              </color>Doesn't "knack" come close ? "I collect project managers' 'knacks'."

                              Dictionary definition (meaning 2 is the closest to what you want) :

                              knack (nak) n.

                              1. A clever, expedient way of doing something.

                              2. A specific talent for something, especially one difficult to
                              explain or teach.

                              3. (Archaic.) A cleverly designed device. A knickknack.

                              <nofill>
                              -[Morendil]-
                              Famous Last Words : a wimp like you, a sorcerer ? Ha !
                            • Laurent Bossavit
                              Message 14 of 25 , Oct 3, 2000
                                Apologies for the HTML formatting crud in the previous post...

                                -[Morendil]-
                                On a clear disk you can seek forever
                              • Michael C. Feathers
                                Message 15 of 25 , Oct 3, 2000
                                  Alistair wrote:
                                  > I'm looking for a catchy or meaningful word for
                                  > ["common characteristic of good examples"]
                                  > which I can apply to any human endeavor or artifact,
                                  > and which is either fairly clear to the average passerby,
                                  > or easy to explain.
                                  > I want to say to that passer by that
                                  > I collect "smores" of project managers, where a "smore" is
                                  > a common characteristic of good examples.

                                  If you want to give a name to the common 'characteristics'
                                  of good examples, how about:

                                  trinkets,
                                  facets,
                                  sparkles,
                                  glows,
                                  gold coins (dubloons)

                                  Michael

                                  Michael Feathers mfeathers@...
                                  Object Mentor Inc. www.objectmentor.com
                                  XP & OO Training/Mentoring/Development
                                  www.xprogramming.com / www.junit.org
                                  "You just keep going all the way, as deep as
                                  you can. You keep trying to get right down
                                  to the crux." -- John Coltrane
                                • Morris, Chris
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Oct 4, 2000
                                    > Any ideas, comments, complaints, recommendations?
                                    > thanks,

                                    How 'bout 'fruit'?

                                    Chris
                                  • acockburn@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Oct 4, 2000
                                      Thanks so far, peoples. I removed the many synonyms for "good examples",
                                      not being the point of the exercise, and sifted out the following
                                      suggestions, from
                                      Dave Thomas, Ben Kovitz, Michael Feathers, Laurent Bossavit. Evidently this
                                      is really really hard, so I don't worry that nothing yet jumps out. In the
                                      matter of project management, I can say "tactics and strategies", but of
                                      course that doesn't work for use cases.

                                      smore
                                      gem
                                      best practice
                                      Ancient Secrets of the Übermeisters!
                                      Insights
                                      Sine Quae Non
                                      Pearls
                                      What Makes a Good xxx
                                      facets
                                      sparkles
                                      dubloons
                                      knack

                                      Imagine an armature for a sculpture, made up of segments put together. Each
                                      segment is load bearing, so it actually matters if it is present or not.
                                      Then a smore/pearl/dubloon is one such segment. A person builds up a
                                      sculpture around the armature, using the armature for stability.
                                      I just ran a workshop identifying potential smores, and none of the words
                                      hung together right. So I'll keep going. Don't know if an acronym is going
                                      to be better, or a simple word with a double meaning, or what. But the
                                      speaking is, "OK, we have 23 xxxx's nominated here, let's test them against
                                      the others we have." The term must apply equally to sonnets as to use cases
                                      as to project management as to project tactics.

                                      thanks again,
                                      Alistair
                                    • Eric Hodges
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Oct 4, 2000
                                        How about "axiom"?

                                        They don't have to be good or right, but one builds on them in a given
                                        context.
                                      • Phil Goodwin
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Oct 4, 2000
                                          theme (as in music)
                                          principle
                                          doctrine
                                          value
                                          meme
                                          aha
                                          key
                                          trick
                                          Element of Good xxx
                                          Phil Goodwin, Java Software, Sun Microsystems, 408-517-6951, or x66951

                                          "If everything you try works, you aren't trying hard enough." -- Gordon Moore
                                        • Robert Leftwich
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Oct 4, 2000
                                            Fundament ?

                                            'An underlying theoretical basis or principle' or 'The part of the body on
                                            which one sits' - they both fit the sculpture analogy :-)

                                            Robert
                                          • Robert Leftwich
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Oct 5, 2000
                                              As you/we are having so much trouble naming these characteristics, you
                                              could try not giving them names at all, i.e. 'characteristics without
                                              names'. Since you want to specifically refer to the good characteristics
                                              they could be 'qualities without any names' or the singular 'Quality
                                              Without a Name', which leads to the following :

                                              "OK, we have 23 qwans nominated here, let's test them against the others we
                                              have."

                                              Robert
                                            • Steve Goodhall

                                              • patmaron@altavista.com
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Oct 25, 2000
                                                  How about calling them COGS (Characteristics Of Good exampleS)?

                                                • mshaynes@bryancavellp.com
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Nov 1, 2000
                                                    As a newbie to the list, I'll keep it quick: I like Axiom, Tenet,
                                                    and Jordan.

                                                    (sorry if this qualifies as "posting 'me too!' like some lame
                                                    AOL'er", this is a great thread!)