Three Colours Agile [was:Defining Agile]

  • Tim Haughton
    Message 1 of 57 , Jul 20, 2007
      On 17/07/07, J. B. Rainsberger <jbrains762@...> wrote:
      > Why should agile /require/ TDD? TDD is a design activity. Does agile
      > care how I design software? I thought agile was mostly concerned with
      > issues like early realization of value and predictable delivery. Surely
      > TDD is optional but recommended.
      > --
      > J. B. (Joe) Rainsberger :: http://www.jbrains.ca

      I like the notion of "early RoI" and "metronomic delivery" forming
      part of a black box definition of Agile. The black box definition
      seems to be an embodiment of the customer's bill of rights. Therefore,
      to a customer, a development method could be considered Agile if...

      - It allows the customer to plan on a large scale with costs and options.

      - It allows the customer to set development priorities weekly.

      - It allows the customer to see progress in the form of a working
      system at the end of the first week, and to see a little more
      functionality every week thereafter.

      - It allows the customer to get updates on the schedule, good or bad,
      as soon as the information is available.

      - It allows the customer to change his/her mind without paying exorbitant costs.

      So in theory, to a customer, nothing else should matter, as long as
      the process seems agile to them.

      To a Manager, we have the grey box. So a development method is Agile if...

      - It affords the manager an overall estimate of costs and results,
      recognizing that reality will be different.

      - It allows the manager to move people between projects without paying
      exorbitant costs.

      - It allows the manager to get monthly updates of progress, and to
      help the customer set overall priorities.

      - The manager has the right to cancel the project and be left with a
      working system reflecting the investment to date.

      To a developer, we have the white box view of Agile. So to them, a
      development method is agile if...

      - It allows the programmer to estimate work and have those estimates
      respected by the rest of the team.

      - It allows the programmer to honestly report progress.

      - It allows the programmer to produce high-quality work at all times.

      - It allows the programmer to know what is most important to work on next.

      - It allows the programmer to ask business-oriented questions whenever
      they arise.

      Each of the definitions is inadequate in itself. Perhaps we need to
      acknowledge that Agile looks different from different angles.

      --
      Regards,

      Tim Haughton

      http://www.timhaughton.info