Name for "common characteristic of good examples"

  • acockburn@aol.com
    Message 1 of 25 , Oct 1, 2000
      I'm looking for a catchy or meaningful word for
      ["common characteristic of good examples"]
      which I can apply to any human endeavor or artifact,
      and which is either fairly clear to the average passerby,
      or easy to explain.
      I want to say to that passer by that
      I collect "smores" of project managers, where a "smore" is
      a common characteristic of good examples.
      I want to say that I have 50 smores of project managers,
      and 25 smores of use cases,
      and 7 smores of sonnets,
      and 3 smores of friendship.

      But of course I don't think the word "smore" will carry. I've slogged
      through my
      thesaurus and gotten catchy and cute, but not turned
      up a word I feel I can slide into a conversation with an arbitraty public.

      Any ideas, comments, complaints, recommendations?
      thanks,

      Alistair
    • Jason Yip
      Message 2 of 25 , Oct 1, 2000
        --- In extremeprogramming@egroups.com, acockburn@a... wrote:
        > I'm looking for a catchy or meaningful word for
        > ["common characteristic of good examples"]
        > which I can apply to any human endeavor or artifact,
        > and which is either fairly clear to the average passerby,
        > or easy to explain.

        Uh... pattern?

        Second thing that popped in my head was symptom but that has negative
        connotations. Thesaurus brings up "token" and "indication". Which
        makes me think "positive indicator". Then I thought, wait a minute,
        I'm sure White Wolf uses catchy words for positive symptoms so I went
        looking for example character sheets...

        Virtues
        Merits
        Traits (probably "positive traits" is better)

        I vote for virtues.
      • Kevin Smith
        Message 3 of 25 , Oct 1, 2000
          > I'm looking for a catchy or meaningful word for
          > ["common characteristic of good examples"]
          > which I can apply to any human endeavor or artifact,
          > and which is either fairly clear to the average passerby,
          > or easy to explain.
          > I want to say to that passer by that
          > I collect "smores" of project managers, where a "smore" is
          > a common characteristic of good examples.
          > I want to say that I have 50 smores of project managers,
          > and 25 smores of use cases,
          > and 7 smores of sonnets,
          > and 3 smores of friendship.
          >
          > But of course I don't think the word "smore" will carry. I've slogged
          > through my
          > thesaurus and gotten catchy and cute, but not turned
          > up a word I feel I can slide into a conversation with an arbitraty public.
          >
          > Any ideas, comments, complaints, recommendations?
          > thanks,

          The first word that popped into my head was "nuggets", but I don't
          think that's quite what you need.

          Next I was drawn toward something related to attributes (e.g. Good
          attributes or Strong attributes). But you wanted one word.

          Best Practices also seems related (and is widely known), so you
          might be able to spin something off that.

          How about calling them "yeps", as in "yep, that's a good thing"? Or
          "yups" if you prefer. Or maybe "GoodThing" is even better.

          Let us know if your bulb lights up.

          Kevin
        • Steve Goodhall
          Message 4 of 25 , Oct 1, 2000
            I will apologize in advance for the rather obscure and erudite nature of
            these words. Before I became a techie, I was the victim of a classical
            education. Even I will have to admit that if you use these, you will spend
            a lot of time explaining what they mean. My own view is that "paradigm" has
            been overused by the business reengineering people. I like "apotheosis",
            but depending on where you want to use it, the religious element might be
            excessive. I would go with "epitome".

            apotheosis
            1. elevation to the status of a god.
            2. a perfect or ideal example; epitome. Example She is the apotheosis of
            motherhood ; The book is an apotheosis of scholarship.

            paradigm
            1. an example, model, pattern, or the like.
            2. in grammar, an example of a conjugation or declension, listing all the
            inflected forms of a word.

            epitome
            1. a person, thing, or action that represents the essence, or serves as the
            purest example, of some quality or type.
            2. a brief summary that gives the essence of a longer work.

            Steve Goodhall
            mailto:SGoodhall@...
            http:/members.home.net/sgoodhall/
            Sooner or later, all this planning has to degenerate into work. - Peter
            Drucker

[...]

            Ad-free courtesy of objectmentor.com
          • Dave Thomas
            Message 5 of 25 , Oct 1, 2000
              acockburn@... writes:

              > I'm looking for a catchy or meaningful word for
              > ["common characteristic of good examples"]

              pragma
              archetype
              gem
              best practice

              ?
            • kjray
              Message 6 of 25 , Oct 1, 2000
                >apotheosis
                >paradigm
                >epitome

                "representative example"

                A methodology book (no longer in print) with the (inappropriate) title of
                "Designing Object Oriented Software for the Macintosh" (it was actually
                platform neutral, and documented a methodology comparable to Booch or
                Rumbaugh, IMHO) described the "analysis layer objects" as often being the
                result of "classification by representative example".

                Unfortunately, I can't find my copy, so I can't find what word it used
                that might be what you're looking for. [The book does go on to say that
                objects and classes defined in the more concrete layers are not expected
                to correlate one-to-one with the "analysis layer objects".]
              • John Brewer
                Message 7 of 25 , Oct 2, 2000
                  I'd have to go with "best practices".

                  --- In extremeprogramming@egroups.com, acockburn@a... wrote:
                  > I want to say that I have 50 [best practices] of project
                  managers,
                  > and 25 [best practices] of use cases,
                  > and 7 [best practices] of sonnets,
                  > and 3 [best practices] of friendship.

                  Hmmm.... Not perfect, but not bad. The only other thing I can think
                  of is "patterns". You could combine them, as Kent did, into "best
                  practice patterns".

                  John Brewer
                  Jera Design
                • Peter Dettman
                  Message 8 of 25 , Oct 2, 2000
                    > I'm looking for a catchy or meaningful word for
                    > ["common characteristic of good examples"]
                    > which I can apply to any human endeavor or artifact,
                    > and which is either fairly clear to the average passerby,
                    > or easy to explain.

                    Did anyone say 'exemplar' yet?

                    ex·em·plar (g-zmplär, -plr)
                    n.

                    One that is worthy of imitation; a model. See Synonyms at ideal.
                    One that is typical or representative; an example.
                    An ideal that serves as a pattern; an archetype.
                    A copy, as of a book.

                    Pete.
                  • Peter Dettman
                    Message 9 of 25 , Oct 2, 2000
                      > One that is worthy of imitation; a model. See Synonyms at ideal.

                      Oh yeah, "Ideals" too...

                      Pete.
                    • Joe Tatem
                      Message 10 of 25 , Oct 2, 2000
                        Quality without a name?

                        Couldn't resist...

                        Joe

                        Peter Dettman wrote:

                        > > One that is worthy of imitation; a model. See Synonyms at ideal.
                        >
                        > Oh yeah, "Ideals" too...
                        >
                        > Pete.

                        > Ad-free courtesy of objectmentor.com
                      • Robert Myers
                        Message 11 of 25 , Oct 2, 2000
                          Dear Alistair,

                          From Merriam-Webster:

                          Paragon: A model of excellence or perfection.

                          Rob

                          PS: I think "Good Thing" has been co-opted by Martha Stewart...
                          PPS: If you are, by chance, looking for a good domain name, I can offer you
                          only my hopes and good wishes. So many of the domain-name paragons are up
                          for auction... ;)
                        • Kay Johansen
                          Message 12 of 25 , Oct 3, 2000
                            acockburn@... wrote:

                            > I'm looking for a catchy or meaningful word for
                            > ["common characteristic of good examples"]

                            > I want to say that I have 50 smores of project managers,
                            > and 25 smores of use cases,
                            > and 7 smores of sonnets,
                            > and 3 smores of friendship.

                            Habits?

                            -Kay
                          • Chris Collins
                            Message 13 of 25 , Oct 3, 2000
                              archetypical

                              ------------------
                              Chris Collins <ccollins@...>
                              RoleModel Software
                              The Extreme Programming Software Studio(TM)
                              <http://www.rolemodelsoft.com>
                              342 Raleigh St.
                              Holly Springs, NC 27540

                              Message 14 of 25 , Oct 3, 2000

                                > managers, where a "smore" is a common characteristic of good

                                > examples.

                                </color>Doesn't "knack" come close ? "I collect project managers' 'knacks'."

                                Dictionary definition (meaning 2 is the closest to what you want) :

                                knack (nak) n.

                                1. A clever, expedient way of doing something.

                                2. A specific talent for something, especially one difficult to
                                explain or teach.

                                3. (Archaic.) A cleverly designed device. A knickknack.

                                <nofill>
                                -[Morendil]-
                                Famous Last Words : a wimp like you, a sorcerer ? Ha !
                              • Laurent Bossavit
                                Message 15 of 25 , Oct 3, 2000
                                  Apologies for the HTML formatting crud in the previous post...

                                  -[Morendil]-
                                  On a clear disk you can seek forever
                                • Michael C. Feathers
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Oct 3, 2000
                                    Alistair wrote:
                                    > I'm looking for a catchy or meaningful word for
                                    > ["common characteristic of good examples"]
                                    > which I can apply to any human endeavor or artifact,
                                    > and which is either fairly clear to the average passerby,
                                    > or easy to explain.
                                    > I want to say to that passer by that
                                    > I collect "smores" of project managers, where a "smore" is
                                    > a common characteristic of good examples.

                                    If you want to give a name to the common 'characteristics'
                                    of good examples, how about:

                                    trinkets,
                                    facets,
                                    sparkles,
                                    glows,
                                    gold coins (dubloons)

                                    Michael

                                    Michael Feathers mfeathers@...
                                    Object Mentor Inc. www.objectmentor.com
                                    XP & OO Training/Mentoring/Development
                                    www.xprogramming.com / www.junit.org
                                    "You just keep going all the way, as deep as
                                    you can. You keep trying to get right down
                                    to the crux." -- John Coltrane
                                  • Morris, Chris
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Oct 4, 2000
                                      > Any ideas, comments, complaints, recommendations?
                                      > thanks,

                                      How 'bout 'fruit'?

                                      Chris
                                    • acockburn@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Oct 4, 2000
                                        Thanks so far, peoples. I removed the many synonyms for "good examples",
                                        not being the point of the exercise, and sifted out the following
                                        suggestions, from
                                        Dave Thomas, Ben Kovitz, Michael Feathers, Laurent Bossavit. Evidently this
                                        is really really hard, so I don't worry that nothing yet jumps out. In the
                                        matter of project management, I can say "tactics and strategies", but of
                                        course that doesn't work for use cases.

                                        smore
                                        gem
                                        best practice
                                        Ancient Secrets of the Übermeisters!
                                        Insights
                                        Sine Quae Non
                                        Pearls
                                        What Makes a Good xxx
                                        facets
                                        sparkles
                                        dubloons
                                        knack

                                        Imagine an armature for a sculpture, made up of segments put together. Each
                                        segment is load bearing, so it actually matters if it is present or not.
                                        Then a smore/pearl/dubloon is one such segment. A person builds up a
                                        sculpture around the armature, using the armature for stability.
                                        I just ran a workshop identifying potential smores, and none of the words
                                        hung together right. So I'll keep going. Don't know if an acronym is going
                                        to be better, or a simple word with a double meaning, or what. But the
                                        speaking is, "OK, we have 23 xxxx's nominated here, let's test them against
                                        the others we have." The term must apply equally to sonnets as to use cases
                                        as to project management as to project tactics.

                                        thanks again,
                                        Alistair
                                      • Eric Hodges
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Oct 4, 2000
                                          How about "axiom"?

                                          They don't have to be good or right, but one builds on them in a given
                                          context.
                                        • Phil Goodwin
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Oct 4, 2000
                                            theme (as in music)
                                            principle
                                            doctrine
                                            value
                                            meme
                                            aha
                                            key
                                            trick
                                            Element of Good xxx
                                            Phil Goodwin, Java Software, Sun Microsystems, 408-517-6951, or x66951

                                            "If everything you try works, you aren't trying hard enough." -- Gordon Moore
                                          • Robert Leftwich
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Oct 4, 2000
                                              Fundament ?

                                              'An underlying theoretical basis or principle' or 'The part of the body on
                                              which one sits' - they both fit the sculpture analogy :-)

                                              Robert
                                            • Robert Leftwich
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Oct 5, 2000
                                                As you/we are having so much trouble naming these characteristics, you
                                                could try not giving them names at all, i.e. 'characteristics without
                                                names'. Since you want to specifically refer to the good characteristics
                                                they could be 'qualities without any names' or the singular 'Quality
                                                Without a Name', which leads to the following :

                                                "OK, we have 23 qwans nominated here, let's test them against the others we
                                                have."

                                                Robert
                                              • Steve Goodhall

                                                • patmaron@altavista.com
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Oct 25, 2000
                                                    How about calling them COGS (Characteristics Of Good exampleS)?

                                                  • mshaynes@bryancavellp.com
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Nov 1, 2000
                                                      As a newbie to the list, I'll keep it quick: I like Axiom, Tenet,
                                                      and Jordan.

                                                      (sorry if this qualifies as "posting 'me too!' like some lame
                                                      AOL'er", this is a great thread!)