Re: [XP] Defining Agile

  • Dale Emery
    Message 1 of 503 , Jul 6, 2007
      Not sure who originally posted this:
      > - Test Driven Development
      > - Automated Acceptance Tests
      > - A War Room Environment
      > - Tight iterations (circa 1 or 2 weeks)
      >
      > That's not to say that an organisation *must* implement these practices in
      > order to be agile, I've just never seen an organisation I would consider
      > be agile fail to implement all 4 of these core practices.

      I like to generalize these practices into:

      1) Developers frequently deliver the product to customers for use and
      review.

      2) Developers frequently test the software and its components.

      3) The whole team focuses intensly on producing accurate, relevant, timely
      feedback about product, project, and process.

      4) Team members communicate early and often, using media appropriate to the
      purpose.

      5) Developers focuse intensely on expressing their intentions in the code.

      I figure there may be many specific ways to apply those general practices.

      If we look at the benefits of the general practices, we get:

      A) Because developers frequently deliver the product to customers for
      review (1), customer feedback about the product is highly accurate,
      relevant, and timely.

      B) Because developers frequently test the software and its components (2),
      they have at all times a shared, clear, accurate, current, actionable
      understanding
      of the product.

      C) Because the whole team focuse intensely on producing accurate, relevant,
      timely feedback about the product, project, and process (3), and because
      team members communicate early and often, using media appropriate to the
      purpose (4), the whole team has at all times a shared, clear, accurate,
      current, actionable understanding of customers' needs, of the project plan,
      of the process, and of the product.

      D) Because developers focus intensely on expressing their intentions in the
      code (5), the product is at all times highly changeable, and the team is
      able to make changes quickly.

      E) Because the whole team has a shared, clear, accurate, current,
      actionable understanding of customers' needs and of the product (B, C), and
      because the
      the team is able to make changes quickly (D), developers at all times keep
      the product closely aligned with customers' current needs.

      F) Because developers frequently make the product available for use (1),
      and because developers at all times keep it closely aligned with customers'
      current needs (E), the software at all times has high value.

      To me, it's the combination of those general practices and those beneifits
      that characterize Agile.

      Dale

      --
      Dale Emery, Consultant
      Web: http://www.dhemery.com
      Message 503 of 503 , Sep 12, 2007
        Dear Xpers,

        Ever wanted an Agile Planning/Development class with a real customer.
        Interested in learning Rails Development working from real examples
        on a real Open Source project.

        Real Training
        Real Projects
        Real Impact
        ... Get Real!

        -------- THE LAB ---------

        Code Green Labs (http://codegreenlabs.com) is offering Agile Planning/
        Rails Lab in Washington DC, November, 1-4, 2007.
        This lab will be held on the campus of Georgetown University and is
        hosted by the Center for New Designs in Learning and
        Scholarship.

        During this lab we will work directly with Segundo Velasquez from
        Mano a Mano to define the first release of their Donor
        Information and Online Donation application. Mano a Mano will use
        this application to communicate the status of their
        many ongoing projects to donors and potential donors. This
        application will be released as an Open Source project to help
        other not for profits achieve their goals. The mission of Mano a
        Mano Medical Resources is to create partnerships with
        impoverished Bolivian communities that improve health and increase
        economic well-being. Mano a Mano has been guided
        by the simple yet powerful premise that groups of committed
        volunteers can reach across national boundaries to make a
        dramatic difference in the lives of others.

        Segundo gave and interview and talk at Agile2007 and that interview
        can be found here.

        http://agiletoolkit.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=255315

        -------- SCHEDULE AND COST ---------

        November 1 - Agile Planning Lab
        - Envisioning, Story Writing, Estimation, Release Planning,
        Customer Test Definintion
        November 2-4 - Agile Rails Lab
        - Agile Software Development Practices and Rails Development
        Attend both Labs and save $300

        Visit http://codegreenlabs.com for more information

        -------- WHO SHOULD ATTEND ---------

        Since software teams are made up of many different disciplines we
        welcome the participation of anyone interested in learning Agile
        Software Delivery including:

        - Developers
        - Testers
        - Analysts
        - Managers
        - Apprentice Agile Coaches

        -------- CODE GREEN LABS ---------

        We are dedicated to creating a unique training experience that uses
        real projects with real deliverables. Labs work on projects that make
        a difference in the world, benefiting organizations that are working
        to improve the environment, human rights, social justice, health and
        economic development. By marrying the efforts of dedicated
        professionals learning Agile Development techniques with not for
        profit and research communities that need high quality software, we
        hope to be a small part of a positive change. Each training class
        will work on a specific software project for a specific cause.

        For more information contact me.
        Bob Payne
        Host AgileToolkit Podcast
        202-903-6854