Defining Agile

  • John Roth
    Message 1 of 503 , Jul 6, 2007
      Ron Jeffries said:

      > Hello, John. On Friday, July 6, 2007, at 1:08:13 PM, you wrote:
      >
      >> We only have trouble with it because nobody has a
      >> legally enforcable definition. The muddle isn't because
      >> we don't have _any_ definition, it's becuase we have _too
      >> many_ definitions.
      >
      > I'd be interested in hearing a proposed one. On the other hand I'm
      > still of the opinion that it's a wrong question.
      >
      > Ron Jeffries
      > www.XProgramming.com
      > We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we
      > created them.
      > -- Albert Einstein

      Here's the first draft:

      -----------------------

      A software development process can be called Agile if it prescribes that all
      artifacts to be delivered to the customer or required to support the
      customer are created iteratively. This includes code, user documentation and
      data base schemas. In addition:

      1. Iterations are to last no longer than one month. Each iteration will
      produce working, tested and deployable software. Each iteration will begin
      with the software produced at the end of the preceding iteration.

      2. The result of each iteration will either be placed into production, or
      the customer will provide sufficient resources to determine if the software
      meets quality goals and is usable for its intended purpose (or both).

      3. The requirements / goals for each iteration are based on the current
      state of the software and the business environment at the beginning of the
      iteration. This specifically excludes any requirements from a document that
      is more than one month old.

      4. There will be engineering practices in place which are sufficient to
      ensure that the structure of the software remains continuously maintainable.

      5. The development team, including any customer personnel assigned to the
      team, will periodically evaluate the process to determine if any changes
      need to be made to improve operations. This implies that there is a defined
      process, and that the team is empowered to change it as long as the change
      maintains quality standards, resource constraints and applicable regulatory
      requirements. It also implies that all team members know what the current
      process is, and are trained to follow it.

      *. I've intended this to be a reasonable, although not precise, fit for XP,
      Scrum, Crystal and Lean. I don't know enough about any others to tell if
      they'd be seriously outside of the envelope.

      --------------------

      John Roth
    • Bob Payne
      Message 503 of 503 , Sep 12, 2007
        Dear Xpers,

        Ever wanted an Agile Planning/Development class with a real customer.
        Interested in learning Rails Development working from real examples
        on a real Open Source project.

        Real Training
        Real Projects
        Real Impact
        ... Get Real!

        -------- THE LAB ---------

        Code Green Labs (http://codegreenlabs.com) is offering Agile Planning/
        Rails Lab in Washington DC, November, 1-4, 2007.
        This lab will be held on the campus of Georgetown University and is
        hosted by the Center for New Designs in Learning and
        Scholarship.

        During this lab we will work directly with Segundo Velasquez from
        Mano a Mano to define the first release of their Donor
        Information and Online Donation application. Mano a Mano will use
        this application to communicate the status of their
        many ongoing projects to donors and potential donors. This
        application will be released as an Open Source project to help
        other not for profits achieve their goals. The mission of Mano a
        Mano Medical Resources is to create partnerships with
        impoverished Bolivian communities that improve health and increase
        economic well-being. Mano a Mano has been guided
        by the simple yet powerful premise that groups of committed
        volunteers can reach across national boundaries to make a
        dramatic difference in the lives of others.

        Segundo gave and interview and talk at Agile2007 and that interview
        can be found here.

        http://agiletoolkit.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=255315

        -------- SCHEDULE AND COST ---------

        November 1 - Agile Planning Lab
        - Envisioning, Story Writing, Estimation, Release Planning,
        Customer Test Definintion
        November 2-4 - Agile Rails Lab
        - Agile Software Development Practices and Rails Development
        Attend both Labs and save $300

        Visit http://codegreenlabs.com for more information

        -------- WHO SHOULD ATTEND ---------

        Since software teams are made up of many different disciplines we
        welcome the participation of anyone interested in learning Agile
        Software Delivery including:

        - Developers
        - Testers
        - Analysts
        - Managers
        - Apprentice Agile Coaches

        -------- CODE GREEN LABS ---------

        We are dedicated to creating a unique training experience that uses
        real projects with real deliverables. Labs work on projects that make
        a difference in the world, benefiting organizations that are working
        to improve the environment, human rights, social justice, health and
        economic development. By marrying the efforts of dedicated
        professionals learning Agile Development techniques with not for
        profit and research communities that need high quality software, we
        hope to be a small part of a positive change. Each training class
        will work on a specific software project for a specific cause.

        For more information contact me.
        Bob Payne
        Host AgileToolkit Podcast
        202-903-6854