Re: [XP] How did you become a Delivery Manager?

  • Lasse Koskela
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 3, 2007
      Hello Nam Nguyen,

      On 7/3/07, Nam Dao Xuan Thien <dxtnam@...> wrote:
      > The organization process is a quite simple, here the capability manager is
      > person who creates a resource pool with full skills to work in a software
      > project. When a project coming, I will establish/select a team with people
      > from this pool. I think the process above is simple, but I am wondering if
      > this is good scenario in the software production. I am also wondering how to
      > define the quality constraints related to people in the pool before joining
      > in the project.

      I don't know much about your specific organization and how even flow
      you have in terms of project size, for example, but I'd still
      reconsider the resource pool approach in favor of a "pool of small
      teams". That is, instead of having 50 individuals in a pool, have a
      pool of roughly 10 teams 5 people each and start managing your
      development portfolio on a team level -- asking yourself, "what should
      Team A work on next?" rather than "who do we have available for
      Project X?"

      The reason I'm in favor of moving whole teams around is that throwing
      random people together creates a "group", not a team. The group will
      have to learn to work together first before they become a team and
      reach their full potential. Throwing an existing team on a project, on
      the other hand, involves much less of the "forming, storming and
      norming" phases and gets you to the full potential much faster (not
      instantly, mind you, but much faster).

      Does this sound like something you could try?

      On 7/3/07, Nam Dao Xuan Thien <dxtnam@...> wrote:
      > I want have some your advices from your experiences. Please post me at least
      > 5 best practices that can make project in good health in this situation and
      > drive quality process in the right direction?

      Don't know about "best" practices but here's a couple of things you
      might want to consider:

      You're finding defects in production but do you know what kind of
      defects? A root cause analysis and some statistics about things like
      where in the code base most of the defects are found from, what type
      of errors are they, what kind of defects cost most to fix, what
      properties of the code base influenced in those defects being
      introduced, how those defects could've been detected earlier, etc.

      Quality has to be built in from the beginning - it's much more costly
      to improve quality after the fact compared to building it right in the
      first place. Quality is also built in by people, not tools, and the
      skill of your developers is the single biggest factor in determining
      the quality of the software your company produces. So recruit the best
      you can find and create an environment that supports and encourages
      learning (especially learning on the job--learning by doing in good
      company is in my experience the single most effective vehicle for
      learning).

      Quality is also the first one to go when the system creates too much
      pressure on developers so make sure your product owners, management,
      scrum masters, etc. are strict about respecting the developers'
      estimates. Squeezing even a bit too much work into a sprint can make
      much more damage than that bit of extra functionality would be worth
      anyway.

      I hope this helps and I wish you good luck with your new role.

      Best regards,
      Lasse

      --
      Lasse Koskela
      * Author of "Test Driven" (Manning Publications, 2007) *