Re: [XP] Inviting critics to visit

  • Larry Brunelle
    Message 1 of 78 , Jul 3, 2007
      John Roth wrote:
      > I'm not sure what "lightly moderated" means. My thought on the
      > subject is that the regular posters should be people who have a good
      > track record in dealing with conflicting opinions on mailing lists.
      > It's a skill, and a lot of people don't have it.

      Interesting comment, rarely made, but (I imagine) with broad
      professional significance.

      Can you share what you think would be the key points of such a
      skill or skillset? I think there are some people posting to this
      list who might be chosen as examples by most reasonable readers,
      but (I opine) even some of these might be variable in behavior
      depending on topic and how engaged.

      My hope would be, of course, not quite so much to cite exemplars
      as to foster learning in the larger group so that discussions might
      more easily remain about the subject. The fact is that when people
      are "passionate" or, anyway, experience passion for the moment, it's
      harder for each to exercise judgment - especially if one feels time
      pressure to speak or post before the "moment" has passed.

      The fact that you've been moderating a high-powered group for a
      long time lends additional weight to your comment, and I'd really
      like to read your further exposition. Thanks.

      > The moderator's role, then, would be mostly in picking the right
      > people.
      >
      > John Roth
    • Larry Brunelle
      Message 78 of 78 , Jul 3, 2007