Re: [XP] Re: Measuring productivity

  • Nicholas Cancelliere
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 2, 2007
      100% agree with you here Scott, well put. I've seen it happen on the
      projects I work on. If accounting wants more capex hours the
      managers would tell me find and bill as much capex as I could (almost
      hinting that I should ignore or try not to find opex hours). Or when
      opex was desired, it'd be the other way around. Then you had the
      developers themselves trying to either look under budget or not
      appear to be underestimating (which is erroneously looked at as
      incompetence, if you can't estimate right - in itself a whole other
      problem).

      In the end you get numbers that are nothing near reality. I don't
      think having developers keep their hours is any accurate gauge of
      productivity because of my experience. And as you said -- if someone
      spends 2 hrs on something to eliminate 2 days of coding find a better
      solution to something, how much is that worth?

      Nicholas

      On Jul 2, 2007, at 2:47 AM, Scott Ambler wrote:

      > --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Ilja Preuss <it@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> seidolce1960 wrote:
      >>
      >>> I hope developers do not lie when they report their time. You
      > need to have management that
      >>> reward proper time reporting.
      >>
      >> How would management know whether time reporting was proper?
      >
      > How many times have you seen people fill in their time sheets so that
      > it conforms to the plan, regardless of what actually happened? Is
      > that proper?
      >
      > How many times have you seen people fill in their timesheets with
      > lower hours than actually worked so that they came in on budget?
      >
      > Also, is time expended the real issue? If I spend 50 hours coding,
      > is that more valuable than the 5 minutes I spent to come up with an
      > architectural strategy that saved 500 hours of coding?
      >
      > - Scott

      > unsubscribe@...
      >
      > ad-free courtesy of objectmentor.com
      > Yahoo! Groups Links