Re: [XP] CMMI doesn't suck

  • John Roth
    Message 1 of 57 , Jul 1, 2007
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Michael Spayd" <michael.spayd@...>
      To: <extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Sunday, July 01, 2007 10:39 AM
      Subject: Re: [XP] CMMI doesn't suck

      > George, thanks very much for these references. The links to the blog and
      > the
      > FAQ George mentioned are:
      >
      > http://www.agilecmmi.com/
      >
      > http://cmmifaq.info/
      >
      > As someone who is very familiar with the CMM and pretty familiar with
      > CMMI,
      > these are excellent resources that simplify how CMMI really works, not the
      > usual misunderstanding that, frankly, many have, including some in the
      > Agile
      > community.

      I did a quick readthrough. Lots of detail, but nothing
      I didn't already know at least at the big picture level.

      The really key statement is in the faq, right under the
      heading that asks whether this is just a cash cow for
      the SEI.

      It gives the truth: this is a DOD initiative to try to
      cure the rather obvious fact that government (including
      DOD) software projects have a horrible track record.
      No question. Government projects tend to suck worse
      than non-government projects, which aren't real winners
      either.

      There is one big, whopping, glaring conceptual error
      in the center of the whole enterprise: it's the assumption
      that, if you do the right things properly, you'll get a good
      result.

      So how do we know that the KPAs and goals are the
      right things? I'd say they aren't. Look at the top ten
      success factors on the Chaos reports. Look at
      Alistair Cockburn's seven properties in his "safety
      zone."

      Then look at the list of KPAs and goals.

      John Roth

      > Michael
      >
      > --
      > Michael K. Spayd
      > Cogility Consulting Solutions, LLC
      > "Business Mind, Social Heart"
      > michael.spayd@...
      > 720.300.5286
      >
      > "Leading Agile Enterprise Transformations"
      >
      > On 6/30/07, George Dinwiddie <lists@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> Phlip wrote:
      >> > Extremists:
      >> >
      >> > I need help recalling two anecdotes. They are Google-proof.
      >> > [snip]
      >> > Cites? Experiences?
      >>
      >> Don't know about those, but you might be interested in the Agile CMMI
      >> blog and FAQ. See (er, hear) also Hillel Glazer's talk at APLN Maryland.
      >>
      >> http://apln.agilemaryland.org/moin/Meeting2007May
      >>
      >> - George
      >>
      >> --
      >> * George Dinwiddie * http://blog.gdinwiddie.com
      >> Software Development http://www.idiacomputing.com
      >> Consultant and Coach http://www.agilemaryland.org

    • John Roth
      Message 57 of 57 , Jul 6, 2007
        In fact, that's exactly the advice we got at Atlanta SPIN
        from an appraiser who does those presentations. I don't
        remember the guy's name, however he's the one who
        starts his presentations with "The two greatest lies in the
        Navy". (Assuming that's not a common story).

        John Roth