Re: Programming Languages and XP (was Re: [OT] Re: [XP] Extreme Testing!)

    Message 1 of 111 , Jul 1, 2007

      I said designs "in", not designs "by". :)

      > I think it's very easy (at least for me) to come up
      > with a bad design in /any/ language. Name one, and I will show
      > you ...

      :) I'll take you at your word.

      Accept your conditions, but not your fate. -- Rod Walsh & Dan Carrison
    • J. B. Rainsberger
      Message 111 of 111 , Jul 6, 2007
        Ron Jeffries wrote:

        > Hello, J.. On Thursday, July 5, 2007, at 11:44:11 PM, you wrote:
        >
        > > So is the interface an important element of the design? In Smalltalk,
        > > the interface is implicit, because we can only deduce it by noticing the
        > > same method signatures in multiple classes and looking for the client
        > > code that uses the corresponding classes polymorphically (not knowing a
        > > more proper way to express that idea). Does Smalltalk then not obscure
        > > intent in this area? If not, why not?
        >
        > It can. There are implementations of interface-like things if you
        > want them. And other ways of expressing the thing.
        >
        > On the other hand, polymorphism without all that rigidity has value
        > too.
        >
        > But my only point was that the two designs, as reflected in the
        > code, are different. I'm not making a claim as to which one is
        > better, only that the language does make a difference to the design,
        > at least as implemented.

        I understand your point. I was partly acting as the devil's advocate and
        partly asking a genuine question about Smalltalk as a Smalltalk novice.

        Take care.
        Your guide to software craftsmanship