Re: Programming Languages and XP (was Re: [OT] Re: [XP] Extreme Testing!)

  • Manuel Klimek
    Message 1 of 111 , Jul 1, 2007
      Ron,

      sorry, I just can't resist:

      > > Simple Design
      >
      > Designs in e.g. Smalltalk are much simpler than in e.g. C++

      I always thought the design was done by the developer, not by
      the language ;-) I think it's very easy (at least for me) to come up
      with a bad design in /any/ language. Name one, and I will show
      you ...

      Cheers,
      Manuel

      --
      http://klimek.box4.net
    • J. B. Rainsberger
      Message 111 of 111 , Jul 6, 2007
        Ron Jeffries wrote:

        > Hello, J.. On Thursday, July 5, 2007, at 11:44:11 PM, you wrote:
        >
        > > So is the interface an important element of the design? In Smalltalk,
        > > the interface is implicit, because we can only deduce it by noticing the
        > > same method signatures in multiple classes and looking for the client
        > > code that uses the corresponding classes polymorphically (not knowing a
        > > more proper way to express that idea). Does Smalltalk then not obscure
        > > intent in this area? If not, why not?
        >
        > It can. There are implementations of interface-like things if you
        > want them. And other ways of expressing the thing.
        >
        > On the other hand, polymorphism without all that rigidity has value
        > too.
        >
        > But my only point was that the two designs, as reflected in the
        > code, are different. I'm not making a claim as to which one is
        > better, only that the language does make a difference to the design,
        > at least as implemented.

        I understand your point. I was partly acting as the devil's advocate and
        partly asking a genuine question about Smalltalk as a Smalltalk novice.

        Take care.
        Your guide to software craftsmanship