Re: [XP] Agile Methods and Other Fairy Tales!

  • Larry Brunelle
    Message 1 of 314 , Jul 1, 2007
      jerryyz wrote:
      [snip]
      I don't think any land to dig in the field of
      > software engineering without looking at other fields. That's what I
      > do, communicate with lead professors in Hierarchy theory and
      > theorectical biology. As for PhD research grants, I do not know who
      > and where. I have taught graduate students myself years ago but not
      > anymore.
      [snip]

      My acquaintance with profs says that interdisciplinary research
      interests many. My advisor alone had research work going with
      people in library science, business (coordination theory), and
      music, in addition to his own students' AI work in configuration
      design and construction of software from components. But hey,
      profs in non-CS disciplines also have grad students and grants.

      [snip]
      > There might be research grants from government and industry. I am
      > not wiling to invest the time to look around unless someone telling
      > me exactly what to do.
      [snip]

      You see the problem you may have gaining volunteers. People won't
      put in the effort if they don't expect success and don't expect the
      research journey interesting regardless of outcome. The whole point
      of my previous message is simply that, if you can convince a prof
      or two at a front-rank university, you might get credibility,
      manpower, and money with one-stop shopping. I do see this as a
      huge hurdle, but I see getting support in other ways as an even
      larger hurdle.

      [snip]
      > Because we
      > build a solid/complete foundation, the business model, as the first
      > step, we would be able to create requirement right the first time.
      [snip]

      This is what I see as the showstopper. I find it impossible to see
      how the business model is not as fluid as the business, and businesses
      generally are fluid. Get your model right, then build to it, and the
      model has changed meanwhile beneath your feet. For some businesses
      more, some less.

      [snip]
      > Here is how to be coresearchers. I encourage anyone who read my two
      > papers, website and online exchanges and believe in the approach and
      > have the time and interest to write paper(s) for journal
      > publications. I would work with each of you as coauther. I believe
      > as long as we write, we can always publish, there are many journals
      > to try one after the other. I would coordinate to make sure not to
      > duplicate topic between authors.
      [snip]

      This sounds to me like university research, without academic credit.
      Or corporate research without a paycheck. I don't say this is bad,
      or invalid. I just don't see many people committing to the necessary
      effort. I also think you see getting published as easier than I do.

      You apparently are putting out a lot of your own effort and some
      resources already. I ask, not for an answer, but because it is what
      I'd ask myself in your shoes, what results, and at what point, would
      convince you your proposition is incorrect, and what would be the
      consequences, to you and to whomever you'd found for research partners?
      If the results are not what you expect, how then would you proceed?
      How long will it take to discover any such issues? Again, not looking
      for an answer. But I see these and similar concerns as part of the
      motivation for agile processes in the first place.
    • jerryyz
      Message 314 of 314 , Jul 5, 2007
        --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Kelly" <billk@...>
        wrote:
        >I find it really frustrating when you respond that way, when someone
        >asks you for a concrete example.

        Talking my work will reveal information about the client which is not
        something appropriate. Not just the work involved talking about the
        context and process.

        the best is that you provide a context such as tax software and do it
        alive.

        jerry