Re: [XP] Customer Contracts

  • J. B. Rainsberger
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 29, 2007
      drc@... wrote:

      > >I have been happy with the results from a pay-by-iteration approach. It
      > >encourages us to build a trust relationship, which is good for business,
      > >anyway.
      > >--
      > >J. B. (Joe) Rainsberger :: http://www.jbrains.ca <http://www.jbrains.ca>
      >
      > Joe (or anyone else) would you be willing to share sanitized versions of
      > your contracts?
      > We're in the same boat as dresdn needing to draft actual contract
      > documents pretty much immediately.
      >
      > Any pointers to resources would be greatly appreciated.

      The highlights are simple.

      We'd like a 1-month contract, followed by 2-week renewals. Instead of a
      2-week notice for cancelation, a contract cannot be canceled, but the
      customer is free not to renew at any time.

      Other than that, the usual boilerplate. Don't try to write collaboration
      into the contract--I've never been able to do that sensibly.

      Like other parts of XP, I like to keep the contracts lightweight, making
      it clear that the scope of the work is negotiated on an ongoing basis.
      If they insist on writing in a statement of work, keep it open-ended so
      that there is no temptation to drive week-to-week scope through the
      contract.

      I'm sorry that's not something you can cut-and-paste, but I hope it
      helps anyway.
      Your guide to software craftsmanship