XP and function points

  • chet hendrickson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 29, 2007
      Hello All,

      In case it had slipped by with out notice, there has recently been some
      discussion on this group about using hours per function point to
      measure a software development processes efficacy. I have been
      around a few organizations that did function point counting, some
      have done it well and other....

      The organization with the best function point discipline had a
      small group dedicated to measuring projects. This information
      gave management a common dimension they could use to compare projects.

      They are a large manufacturing company, with a long history of
      using statistical methods to improve their processes. They had
      recently brought their IT activities back in house after a
      multi-year attempt a outsourcing all software development and
      maintenance. As part of this inhousing(?) they had developed a
      software development process that was mostly based on a waterfall
      model.

      By the time I arrived, they had well over a year's worth of data
      using this new process, and I believe data from the outsourcing
      period.

      Don Wells and I, were brought in to help them with the
      development and implementation of an iterative development model
      using the RUP framework. We gave them the closest thing to XP we
      could given the circumstances. We brought QA in at the beginning
      of a project, we created two use case templates, one modeled on
      Alistair's and one that had two fields, describe the feature and
      how will you test it, we think we did a pretty XP job of it.

      Anyway, I left after about 9 months. A few months after that,
      based upon the data they were getting out of their FP based
      analysis, the company dropped the waterfall process and moved all
      new development to the our process. My sister-in-law, who works
      there, says that they are still using it.

      I used to know the productivity advantage they found, maybe Don
      remembers. Don?

      Just thought I would share this datapoint.

      --
      Best regards,
      chet mailto:lists@...