Requirements for Xp Start Up

  • naveen
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 20, 2007
      Hi to all,
      This is naveen.Now working as Software Engineer.Now in my
      company we are implementing Extreme Programming Methodology! .
      Now i am aware of Xp but to built XP environment in my company
      what are the things required like task card ,crc cards ,stationary etc...
      i am really need of this one.
      please can anybody suggest me as early as possible!
      Thanks
      Naveen k.Chowdhary.
    • treacherous_j_silk
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 20, 2007
        Naveen,

        Welcome to the race! If I had to spec out an agile survival guide I
        would say you needed:

        1. People who have a passion for building software.

        Without this, it doesn't matter how many story cards you have or how
        much money your company spends on tools to make you "agile". I would
        suggest that you first engage your team and work very hard to get
        everyone to not only understand the agile manifesto but to see the
        value in building software this way. I have worked with many teams
        that feel the latests IDE or the most expensive online project
        management solution will make them more agile....but those same teams
        refuse to embrace iterative development and the value proposition of
        practices such as TDD, or Acceptance Testing.

        ok....enough on this one...there is volumes of information on this :)

        2. 3x5 index cards

        Yep there are a bazillion tools to help you manage your project. Heck
        I am the co-owner of one of the open-source ones :)
        (www.explainpmt.com shameless plug) However if you cant write stories
        on index cards and organize them on a board or table somewhere, a tool
        is not going to make it easier. Work in as simple a manner as
        possible. Carry 3x5 cards with you everywhere. When a new story or
        acceptance is discussed, write it down. Use them as a way to take
        notes. Make your index cards your way of jotting down ideas. Soon you
        will not go into a meeting without a stack of index cards.

        I have actually taken a hiatus from mentoring and I am doing full time
        development for a while. I have a rolling whiteboard that sits behind
        me with all my team's stories on it. I wheel it to all
        iteration/product/demo/release meetings and always bring my stack of
        index cards. We also hand out index cards to anyone who comes to the
        demo so that they can jot down thoughts during the demo.

        I am sure there are other "things" you can get to help with the
        transition to agile, but I wouldn't focus on the "things". Focus on
        your people. Focus on building software in small chunks while
        injecting continual feedback. The "stuff" you need in terms of office
        supplies will shake out naturally.

        Happy Testing!
        Jake Dempsey
        www.watij.com
        www.explainpmt.com

        --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "naveen"
        <naveenkandula@...> wrote:

        > Hi to all,
        > This is naveen.Now working as Software Engineer.Now in my
        > company we are implementing Extreme Programming Methodology! .
        > Now i am aware of Xp but to built XP environment in my company
        > what are the things required like task card ,crc cards ,stationary
        etc...
        > i am really need of this one.
        > please can anybody suggest me as early as possible!
        > Thanks
        > Naveen k.Chowdhary.

      • William Pietri
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 20, 2007
          naveen wrote:
          > Hi to all,
          > This is naveen.Now working as Software Engineer.Now in my
          > company we are implementing Extreme Programming Methodology! .
          > Now i am aware of Xp but to built XP environment in my company
          > what are the things required like task card ,crc cards ,stationary etc...
          > i am really need of this one.
          > please can anybody suggest me as early as possible!

          Hi, Naveen. I'm a veteran of a few XP startups. I just took a new one
          through their first planning game today. I think there is no better way
          to do a software startup than starting with XP and see where that takes you.

          I'd say the requirements are:

          1. Discipline. In particular being very disciplined about short,
          regular iterations where you only count stories that are 100% done.
          2. Patience. In a startup you will face immense time pressures.
          Direct those pressures into trimming scope, and never into
          compromising quality.
          3. Serenity. There will be chaos all around you. Do not internalize
          it. Do not let it infect your team. Stay centered and clear-headed.
          4. Confidence. The quality-focused practices in XP like unit testing,
          acceptance testing, pair programming, continuous integration, and
          frequent releases will save you from disaster. Trust them like you
          would trust a life jacket. And hold on to them the same way.
          5. Vision. Keep the end goal in mind. However painful it might be,
          devote time to continuous improvement via retrospectives,
          cross-training, and necessary research. A lot of things will seem
          like finish lines, but for a startup, every finish line is the
          starting line for the next race.

          I hope that helps! Please keep us posted on your progress; that would
          help both you and us.

          William

          P.S. Also buy a lot of index cards. Plain and colored. :-)