Re: [XP] Tips for "XP Day"-like meeting organization

  • Steve Freeman
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 4, 2007
      We didn't know anything when we started (and some say we still
      don't...). We started meeting to try out our ideas on each other. So,
      you might want to link your XpDay with the launch of a regular social
      meeting.

      S.

      On 30 May 2007, at 11:51, Agustin Villena wrote:
      > Since I work at al local university in my spoare time, I'll host my
      > local
      > "XP Day" there.
      > The hardest part is gather real practitioners. XP here is merely a
      > buzzword,
      > but starting with few people that really knows about the topic y
      > better than
      > many with only heared about it.

      Steve Freeman
      http://www.mockobjects.com

    • J. B. Rainsberger
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 15, 2007
        Agustin Villena wrote:

        > I'm interested in organize an XP focused meeting in the tradition of "XP
        > Days" in my country (Chile), since here agile methods are a really new and
        > strange way to build software, but the few local experiences are really
        > interesting.
        > I have a question. Does anybody know if is there any "trademark" to use
        > the name "XP Day"? Any restriction?
        >
        > And does anybody can share any tip to organize this kind of meetings?

        I asked the London gang whether they minded me calling "XP Day North
        America" after "XP Day" and they allowed it. I was being courteous; I
        don't know whether they have any legal claim to the name.

        If you go ahead with this, please send your event information (where and
        when) to info a@t xpday do.t info so that I can include you in our list
        of XP Day events around the world.

        You can look at xpday.info to see how we run the events in North America.
        Your guide to software craftsmanship
      • J. B. Rainsberger
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 15, 2007
          Agustin Villena wrote:

          > Since I work at al local university in my spoare time, I'll host my local
          > "XP Day" there.
          > The hardest part is gather real practitioners. XP here is merely a buzzword,
          > but starting with few people that really knows about the topic y better than
          > many with only heared about it.

          I decided to aim XP Day North America at two key markets:

          * people curious about XP who want an inexpensive way to learn about it
          * local experts who don't get many opportunities to share their
          expertise with their local community

          This is different from what the XP Days in Europe seem to do. (I've only
          been to XP Day France '06 so I don't want to make bad assumptions.) I
          think it's important for you to decide what the purpose of XP Day
          Santiago (I'm just guessing on the city) is: is it to reach people who
          want to learn about XP? to help people learning about XP get together?
          to help some unknown XP experts get exposure?

          Buena suerte.
          Your guide to software craftsmanship