Re: [XP] Pair Programming fill-in-the-blanks

  • Oleg Puzanov
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 1, 2007
      If your partner is a stinky one, you're not Pair Programming.

      Oleg Puzanov
      IKEEN Group

      On 6/1/07, Ivan Sanchez <s4nchez@...> wrote:

      > On 5/25/07, George Paci <gpaci@... <gpaci%40tiac.net>> wrote:
      > > If ___________, you're not Pair Programming.
      >
      > If you don't respect your partner's opinion, you're not Pair Programming.
      >
      > --
      > Ivan Sanchez

    • James Carr
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 1, 2007
        If you've ever written code that other people had to track you down a month
        later and ask you to explain what it does, you're not pair programming. ;)

        Cheers,
        James

        On 5/25/07, George Paci <gpaci@...> wrote:

        > All,
        >
        > Going over the Great Pyramid comments (over on WTF), I realized
        > there are *still* several hundred popular misconceptions about
        > Pair Programming.
        >
        > Could you just take a second and try to add something to a list
        > of assertions that follow this template:
        >
        > If ___________, you're not Pair Programming.
        >
        > I'll start things off:
        >
        > If one of you is doing all the typing, you're not Pair Programming.
        >
        > (Longer explanations and war stories are welcome, of course.)
        >
        > Thanks,
        > --George
        >
        > In programming, as in horror movies,
        > splitting up the group is a Bad Idea.

      • Steven Gordon
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 1, 2007
          If your team's truck number is 1, you're not Pair Programming.

          On 5/25/07, George Paci <gpaci@...> wrote:

          > All,
          >
          > Going over the Great Pyramid comments (over on WTF), I realized
          > there are *still* several hundred popular misconceptions about
          > Pair Programming.
          >
          > Could you just take a second and try to add something to a list
          > of assertions that follow this template:
          >
          > If ___________, you're not Pair Programming.
          >
          > I'll start things off:
          >
          > If one of you is doing all the typing, you're not Pair Programming.
          >
          > (Longer explanations and war stories are welcome, of course.)
          >
          > Thanks,
          > --George
          >
          > In programming, as in horror movies,
          > splitting up the group is a Bad Idea.

        • William Pietri
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 25, 2007
            George Paci wrote:
            > All,
            >
            > Going over the Great Pyramid comments (over on WTF), I realized
            > there are *still* several hundred popular misconceptions about
            > Pair Programming.
            >
            > Could you just take a second and try to add something to a list
            > of assertions that follow this template:
            >
            > If ___________, you're not Pair Programming.

            I wanted to show the whole list to people, so I've collected these
            below, along with a list of contributors. Thanks to George to starting
            this and everybody else for participating!

            William

            -------------------------------------

            If one of you is doing all the typing, you're not Pair Programming.

            If one of you is sleeping or otherwise disengaged, then you're not Pair
            Programming.

            If you don't have equal access to the screen and keyboard, you're not
            Pair Programming.

            If you haven't touched the keyboard in the last 15 minutes, you're not
            Pair Programming.

            If one of you is sitting behind the other, you're not Pair Programming.

            If you have let your partner's attention drift away, you're not Pair
            Programming.

            If when you're done you talk about "his code" and "my code" rather than
            "our code", then you're not Pair Programming.

            If nobody has said anything or made a sound in the last five minutes,
            you're not Pair Programming.

            If you spend more than a minute or two not understanding what is going
            on, you're not Pair Programming.

            If you're back-seat driving, you're not Pair Programming.

            If you feel like you have to be reachable when you go on vacation,
            you're not Pair Programming. Not enough, anyhow.

            If both of you don't get to the finish line at the same time, you're not
            Pair Programming.

            If one person does not understand the requirements of the card, you are
            not pair programming.

            If one person says something about finishing his/her thought before
            explaining it to you and that time elaspsed seems like forever, you are
            not pair programming. (nor are you doing baby steps)

            If one refuses to discuss the architectural changes that are happening
            because they would be too complicated to explain, you are not pair
            programming.

            If one person makes changes to the code at home or during off hours,
            chances are you are not pair programming.

            If one person is making changes and the other person is making a phone
            call, chances are you are not pair programming.

            If you're programming by yourself all day every day, you're definitely
            not Pair Programming.

            If you don't respect your partner's opinion, you're not Pair Programming.

            If your team's truck number is 1, you're not Pair Programming.

            If you've ever written code that other people had to track you down a
            month later and ask you to explain what it does, you're not pair
            programming.

            Originator:
            George Paci

            Contributors: