Re: [XP] Re: Refined XP Practice - 3 Day Week

  • Kelly Anderson
    Message 1 of 67 , Jun 1, 2007
      > Hello, Kelly. On Thursday, May 31, 2007, at 9:31:55 PM, you wrote:
      >
      > > On 5/30/07, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:
      > >> How do you feel about paying for value, rather than time?
      >
      > > Ron, that's a great idea, but how do you measure it? What if my value
      > > is nothing because the product isn't marketed correctly? It's a nice
      > > idea, but just impractical imho.
      >
      > Oh, OK. Be sure to let all the people who work on fixed-price
      > contracts and piece work know that ...

      Most of us software people are not very good at marketing ourselves.
      It is generally impractical for us to continuously sell ourselves to
      the next contract. While some people, you included, are able to market
      yourselves well enough to get nice contracting gigs, most of us have
      to settle for a day job. The tradeoff, of course, is that you are
      evaluated once, rather than on a continuous basis. In exchange for the
      predictability, and getting out of the constant self-selling, we
      accept a lower wage.

      In the context of a day job, it is impractical to constantly
      reevaluate our value, as that's not generally part of the deal we
      strike.

      Sorry for not contextualizing my comment.

      -Kelly
    • Tim Ottinger
      Message 67 of 67 , Jun 5, 2007
        And a wise manager should never seat more egos than can fit in a room.