RE: [XP] Re: Mocks: How to make sure they behave like the real thing

  • Desilets, Alain
    Message 1 of 115 , Jun 1, 2007
      > > OK, I understand now. I tend to use the real thing for ClassB as
      > much as possible and I can't say that I have found it to be a
      > problem for debugging purposes. If I change two lines of code
      > in some class and my tests turn red all of a sudden, I don't
      > need test isolation to know that the problem is with the two
      > lines of code I just changed.
      > >

      > This may be a contextual issue. If you're working alone, or
      > on a very small project - say, 6 people sitting in the same
      > room - then this may be perfectly fine.

      Yes, that is exactly my context.

      > What if you're
      > working on a larger project - say, 8 teams of 12 in a "scrum
      > of scrums" arrangement, working on a common codebase? How
      > much do you "know" now, when tests suddenly go red? ;-)

      Right. I can see that in situations like this, test isolation would be a
      good thing.

      Thx for pointing this out. Context is everything isn't it?

      Alain
    • J. B. Rainsberger
      Message 115 of 115 , Jun 14, 2007
        George Dinwiddie wrote:

        > J. B. Rainsberger wrote:
        > > I would never use mocks on a C project; but of course, I would never
        > > work on a C project.
        >
        > I've certainly used fakes and stubs on C projects. In fact, the
        > practice lead me to heavy reliance on function pointers long before I
        > started using OO.

        I worked on one project trying to organize C code in an OO fashion using
        various pointer-related idioms I didn't entirely understand. This
        experience rather entrenched my distrust of C.
        Your guide to software craftsmanship