[ANN] Agile project management techniques

  • Andrew Hunt
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2007
      Hi all,

      We are especially pleased to announce Johanna Rothman's newest book,
      "Manage It! Your Guide to Modern, Pragmatic Project Management"

      See pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles/jrpm/ for all the details,
      excerpts, and more.

      About this book:

      You've been bombarded with a ton of techniques, practices, and
      unsolicited pieces of advice about how to manage projects. All of
      them are saying "Look at me, I'm right."

      Well, many of them are right—but only under certain conditions. Your
      project is unique, and you need to make pragmatic choices about what
      will work and what won't.

      In "Manage It! Your Guide to Modern, Pragmatic Project Management",
      author Johanna Rothman delivers a risk-based guide to making good
      decisions about how to plan and guide your projects. This book will
      help software project managers, team members, and software managers
      succeed. From chartering to release, each chapter discusses ways you
      can see inside your software project, measure it, feel it, taste it,
      and smell it.

      Johanna says, "One thing you won't find in this book is the One True
      Way to manage projects. There is no One True Way that works for all
      projects. You also won't find best practices. I'll suggest helpful
      practices for each life cycle that might help you and the project
      team achieve your goals."

      Manage It! will show you how to beg, borrow, and steal from the best
      methodologies to fit your particular project. It will help you find
      what works best for you. Before you know it, your project will be on
      track and headed to a successful conclusion.

      In this book you'll:

      * Learn all about different project lifecycles
      * See how to organize a project
      * Compare sample project dashboards
      * See how to staff a project
      * Know when you're done—and what that means.

      Manage It! shows you how to directly address the most pressing
      problems of modern software project development.

      "Johanna packs a wealth of practical advice into this book. Even the
      most experienced project managers will find numerous nuggets and gems
      that they can immediately apply to their project work."
      James A. Ward, Senior Project Management Consultant

      "This book is a pleasure to read and is packed with wisdom. Junior
      project managers will get a great introduction, while senior project
      managers will learn some new tricks."
      George Hawthorne, Project Manager

      Available now from http://pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles/jrpm/

      Coming soon:

      * Programming Erlang: Software for a Concurrent World

      * GIS for Web Developers: Adding 'Where' to Your Web Applications

      Recently released:

      * The Definitive ANTLR Reference: Building Domain-Specific Languages

      * The Accessible Web: Creating Content for Everyone (Beta)

      * Prototype and script.aculo.us:
      You never knew JavaScript could do this! (Beta)

      * Release It!
      Design and Deploy Production-Ready Software

      * TextMate:
      Power Editing for the Mac

      Enjoy, and thanks for your continued support!

      Andy and Dave