Pair Programming fill-in-the-blanks

  • George Paci
    Message 1 of 13 , May 25, 2007
      All,

      Going over the Great Pyramid comments (over on WTF), I realized
      there are *still* several hundred popular misconceptions about
      Pair Programming.

      Could you just take a second and try to add something to a list
      of assertions that follow this template:

      If ___________, you're not Pair Programming.

      I'll start things off:

      If one of you is doing all the typing, you're not Pair Programming.

      (Longer explanations and war stories are welcome, of course.)

      Thanks,
      --George

      In programming, as in horror movies,
      splitting up the group is a Bad Idea.
    • Steven Gordon
      Message 2 of 13 , May 25, 2007
        If one of you is sleeping or otherwise disengaged, then ...

        On 5/25/07, George Paci <gpaci@...> wrote:

        > All,
        >
        > Going over the Great Pyramid comments (over on WTF), I realized
        > there are *still* several hundred popular misconceptions about
        > Pair Programming.
        >
        > Could you just take a second and try to add something to a list
        > of assertions that follow this template:
        >
        > If ___________, you're not Pair Programming.
        >
        > I'll start things off:
        >
        > If one of you is doing all the typing, you're not Pair Programming.
        >
        > (Longer explanations and war stories are welcome, of course.)
        >
        > Thanks,
        > --George
        >
        > In programming, as in horror movies,
        > splitting up the group is a Bad Idea.

      • Cory Foy
        Message 3 of 13 , May 25, 2007
          George Paci wrote:
          > If ___________, you're not Pair Programming.

          If you look over and your partner is a 3-foot tall Animal doll, you're
          not Pair Programming.

          http://www.cornetdesign.com/images/carfax/DSC00465.jpg

          --
          Cory Foy
          http://www.cornetdesign.com
          Message 4 of 13 , May 25, 2007
            George Paci wrote:
            > Could you just take a second and try to add something to a list
            > of assertions that follow this template:
            >
            > If ___________, you're not Pair Programming.

            Ooh, fun!

            If you don't have equal access to the screen and keyboard, you're not
            Pair Programming.

            If you haven't touched the keyboard in the last 15 minutes, you're not
            Pair Programming.

            If one of you is sitting behind the other, you're not Pair Programming.

            If you have let your partner's attention drift away, you're not Pair
            Programming.

            If when you're done you talk about "his code" and "my code" rather than
            "our code", then you're not Pair Programming.

            If nobody has said anything or made a sound in the last five minutes,
            you're not Pair Programming.

            If you spend more than a minute or two not understanding what is going
            on, you're not Pair Programming.

            If you're back-seat driving, you're not Pair Programming.

            If you feel like you have to be reachable when you go on vacation,
            you're not Pair Programming. Not enough, anyhow.

            I can't wait to read the rest!

            William
          • Gary Brown
            Message 5 of 13 , May 25, 2007
              Quoting George Paci <gpaci@...>:

              > All,
              >
              > Going over the Great Pyramid comments (over on WTF), I realized
              > there are *still* several hundred popular misconceptions about
              > Pair Programming.
              >
              > Could you just take a second and try to add something to a list
              > of assertions that follow this template:
              >
              > If ___________, you're not Pair Programming.

              If both of you don't get to the finish line at the same time, you're
              not Pair Programming.

              GB.
            • Christopher K. Joiner, Jr.
              Message 6 of 13 , May 27, 2007
                What an exciting topic. Let me give it a go.

                If one person does not understand the requirements of the card, you are not
                pair programming.

                If one person says something about finishing his/her thought before
                explaining it to you and that time elaspsed seems like forever, you are not
                pair programming. (nor are you doing baby steps)

                If one refuses to discuss the architectural changes that are happening
                because they would be too complicated to explain, you are not pair
                programming.

                If one person makes changes to the code at home or during off hours, chances
                are you are not pair programming.

                And last one for now,

                If one person is making changes and the other person is making a phone call,
                chances are you are not pair programming.

                --
                .Chris.

                Christopher K. Joiner, Jr.
                Senior Agile Software Developer
                XP Coach
                PrimeTel Communications, Inc.

                On 5/25/07, Gary Brown <glbrown@...> wrote:

                > Quoting George Paci <gpaci@... <gpaci%40tiac.net>>:
                >
                > > All,
                > >
                > > Going over the Great Pyramid comments (over on WTF), I realized
                > > there are *still* several hundred popular misconceptions about
                > > Pair Programming.
                > >
                > > Could you just take a second and try to add something to a list
                > > of assertions that follow this template:
                > >
                > > If ___________, you're not Pair Programming.
                >
                > If both of you don't get to the finish line at the same time, you're
                > not Pair Programming.
                >
                > GB.

              • Kelly Anderson
                Message 7 of 13 , May 29, 2007
                  On 5/25/07, George Paci <gpaci@...> wrote:
                  > If ___________, you're not Pair Programming.

                  I'll bite...

                  If you're programming by yourself all day every day, you're definitely
                  not Pair Programming.

                  I've often been accused of having a firm grasp of the obvious... :-)

                  -Kelly
                • Tim Ottinger
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 30, 2007
                    Go one better:

                    If you are forced to make a decision between doing your own work (assigned to you personally at the start of the sprint) so you don't fail, or helping someone else do theirs so that *they* don't fail, then what you are doing is not agile, and it sure as heck is not pair programming.

                  • Ivan Sanchez
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 1, 2007
                      On 5/25/07, George Paci <gpaci@...> wrote:
                      > If ___________, you're not Pair Programming.

                      If you don't respect your partner's opinion, you're not Pair Programming.

                      --
                      Ivan Sanchez
                    • Oleg Puzanov
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 1, 2007
                        If your partner is a stinky one, you're not Pair Programming.

                        Oleg Puzanov
                        IKEEN Group

                        On 6/1/07, Ivan Sanchez <s4nchez@...> wrote:

                        > On 5/25/07, George Paci <gpaci@... <gpaci%40tiac.net>> wrote:
                        > > If ___________, you're not Pair Programming.
                        >
                        > If you don't respect your partner's opinion, you're not Pair Programming.
                        >
                        > --
                        > Ivan Sanchez

                      • James Carr
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 1, 2007
                          If you've ever written code that other people had to track you down a month
                          later and ask you to explain what it does, you're not pair programming. ;)

                          Cheers,
                          James

                          Message 12 of 13 , Jun 1, 2007
                            If your team's truck number is 1, you're not Pair Programming.

                            Message 13 of 13 , Jun 25, 2007
                              George Paci wrote:
                              > All,
                              >
                              > Going over the Great Pyramid comments (over on WTF), I realized
                              > there are *still* several hundred popular misconceptions about
                              > Pair Programming.
                              >
                              > Could you just take a second and try to add something to a list
                              > of assertions that follow this template:
                              >
                              > If ___________, you're not Pair Programming.

                              I wanted to show the whole list to people, so I've collected these
                              below, along with a list of contributors. Thanks to George to starting
                              this and everybody else for participating!

                              William

                              -------------------------------------

                              If one of you is doing all the typing, you're not Pair Programming.

                              If one of you is sleeping or otherwise disengaged, then you're not Pair
                              Programming.

[...]

                              call, chances are you are not pair programming.

                              If you're programming by yourself all day every day, you're definitely
                              not Pair Programming.

                              If you don't respect your partner's opinion, you're not Pair Programming.

                              If your team's truck number is 1, you're not Pair Programming.

                              If you've ever written code that other people had to track you down a
                              month later and ask you to explain what it does, you're not pair
                              programming.

                              Originator:
                              George Paci

                              Contributors: