Re: [XP] XP Certification?

  • martijn_meijering
    Message 1 of 60 , May 17, 2007
      > I pray there is not. I would find it repugnant.

      I used to believe very strongly that certification goes against the
      values of XP, but for a while I have been wondering if there might be
      a good way to do XP certification.

      I agree with the recent statement by the Agile Alliance that
      certification should be mostly skills-based, not knowledge-based. Or
      more precisely, that there should be a very strong skills-based component.

      Something that might help is a system along the lines of Advogato
      (http://www.advogato.org/). That was originally set up to help find
      out if a candiate was suitable as a committer on open source projects.
      It ranks people as Apprentice, Journeyer, or Master, based on the
      judgement of the community as calculated by a trust metric. I like the
      craftsmanship bit. But then I am a moderate craftite ;-) I also like
      the fact that the certification process is owned by the community and
      not by a single company. I like the fact that the trust metric is
      transparent. I think trust metrics are cool in general. All in all, I
      think there is value in it.

      But I don't think it is the whole answer or even most of it. On
      balance, right now, I cannot foresee a certification process for XP
      that I would support, but I do believe it is worthwhile to think about it.
    • Norbert Winklareth
      Message 60 of 60 , May 18, 2007
        Hi Seyit, on Thursday, May 17, 2007, at 9:33 AM you wrote:

        > Although I saw some examples (don't know if they are enough)
        > actually the only basis of my assertion is pure logic. IMO
        > every logical person, would and should blame the process not
        > the person, if the person is officially certified (somewhat)
        > about that process.

        Thank you for your explanation. I now understand the model of process and
        certification you used and thus the reasoning behind your assertion.

        Regards
        Norbert
        -----
        Norbert Winklareth