Re: [XP] Programmer resistance to "successful" technologies/processes/frameworks

  • Manuel Klimek
    Message 1 of 529 , May 1, 2007
      Ron,

      > > Do you have any advice on how to stop people complaining
      > > and to start acting? Do you think it's possible?
      >
      > To help the people stop complaining and act, stop complaining and
      > act.

      I do. And I mean the acting thing without the complaining.
      Right now I'm not sure it's enough. But I'll give it some time...

      Sometimes when people start complaining I ask them:
      "What could /we/ do to make things better?"
      and they answer:
      "Why should I do their job? They're product management/
      management/.... Their requirements/decisions/... suck!"

      I find that often people want to change other people first, not
      themselves. If I try to change them to change themselves,
      I'm basically the same.

      Cheers,
      Manuel

      --
      http://klimek.box4.net
    • Murali Krishna Devarakonda
      Message 529 of 529 , May 6, 2007
        --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "Kelly Anderson"
        <kellycoinguy@...> wrote:

        > On 4/29/07, Murali Krishna Devarakonda <muralikd@...> wrote:
        > > Over the last two decades, I've seen resistance to practically every
        > > "successful" technology-framework-process-whatever first-hand.
        >
        > > Yet, to simplify , why do programmers "zealously" resist change-
        > > particularly in those cases where we can now say with hindsight that
        > > it was for the better, i.e. "successful"?
        >
        > Just because something is eventually successful, does not necessarily
        > mean that early adoption means early success. In fact, you could
        > probably make an effective argument against early adoption of
        > development tools/methodologies. Look how much has been learned by the
        > bleeding edgers, and use what has been proven to work is a reasonably
        > successful way to go for many endeavors.
        >
        > -Kelly

        You are right, of course. But my list was only intended to illustrate
        and discuss the idea - not to discuss the list itself. I really wanted
        to focus on "successes" and discuss what goes on in the minds of
        programmers who resist the *idea* behind the product that eventually
        becomes a "success".

        I'm going to post my thoughts on this in another thread.