RE: [XP] Do it by the book

  • Kent Beck
    Message 1 of 15 , May 1 9:32 AM
      I've seen this opinion, that I "dialed down" XP in the second edition,
      several times. I acknowledge that people read the second edition as somehow
      "softer" and more flexible (if that's the right word) than the first. The
      second edition's lack of ammunition for attack is deliberate. My goal is to
      work from principles based on my values so that I can be as agile as
      possible in my work. A checklist of even the "right" practices still has
      the inflexibility of a checklist. It is superimposed from outside. Working
      in accord with my principles and values allows me much more flexibility, but
      requires much more awareness on my part. I agree with you that even the
      best ideas are not best accomplished by force.

      I think the second edition presents a more rigorous and demanding process
      than the first. The second edition expects you to pay attention to people
      and context, not just check off a bullet list of practices. Incremental
      application was always part of XP, from "solve your worst problem the XP
      way, repeat" in the first edition to the appreciative inquiry style I use
      now. Daily Deployment and Pay-per-use alone generally require years of
      practice to achieve. The addition of Respect as a value offers personal
      challenges enough to last their whole career (at least it does for me).

      I'd appreciate hearing from folks whose process meets the "dialed down"
      second edition but doesn't match XPE1e. If the second edition is really
      softer and squishier, more teams should satisfy its criteria. My experience
      is the reverse--you can do XP "by the book [first edition]" without respect,
      without engaging the whole business, without accountability, without taking
      full responsibility for the process and the results. It is much harder to
      consider value to the business as a whole than what is good for me as a
      programmer.

      Regards,

      Kent Beck
      Three Rivers Institute