Re: [XP] Best Practices - Offsite Customer

  • William Pietri
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 26, 2007
      Kevin Trethewey wrote:
      > We are a fledgling XP team working in South Africa (I am the only one with
      > previous XP experience). Our Customer is a UK-based (single client, one
      > domain expert Customer).
      >
      > Can anyone point me in the direction of some good advice/white papers/case
      > studies for dealing with an offsite customer?

      I've coached a few distributed teams. The one that was best at this did
      five things that were a lot of help:

      1. The off-site customer spent circa two weeks of every eight on
      site, with even more time at the beginning.
      2. There was an on-site customer who acted on behalf of the off-site
      customer, with a lot of email communication and at least daily calls.
      3. Iterations were short, with the off-site customer reviewing
      progress at least every iteration, and often as features were
      completed during the iteration.
      4. The off-site and on-site customers jointly produced a fair bit of
      written background material.
      5. The off-site customer, working with a local UI designer, produced
      UI mockups for every feature. They weren't always followed, but
      they were the starting point for a lot of discussion.

      This was a year-long project with perhaps 15 people total, and a time
      difference somewhere around 10 hours.

      My one regret with this team was that they were never great at automated
      acceptance testing, probably because their original project plan had
      them doing most of it at the end. I think everybody would have been
      happier if they had started with a lot of FIT-style acceptance test
      definitions as part of every unit of work.

      Hoping that helps,

      William