[extremeprogramming] Re: Collective Ownership vs. Collective Code Ownership [Stupid XP Question No 265]

  • Don Wells
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 6, 2000
      max bareis <madma-@...> wrote:
      original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/extremeprogramming/?start
      =118
      > On www.extremeprogramming.org Collective Code Ownership is explained
      > with Collective Ownership. But what does that mean? Should Collective
      > Code Ownership really be extended to Collective Ownership? Does it
      > include Collective Task Ownership?
      > Does Ownership includes Responsibility?
      >
      > As long as I can oversee the means of collective ownership it should
      be
      > limited to code ownership. It's IMO not useful to extend this to
      > collective ownership for the whole process in the means of
      > responsibility.
      >
      > Max

      My apologies, on that page collective ownership of a class means code,
      design,
      and tests are the responsibility of everyone on the team and is
      essentially
      synonymous with collective code ownership on an XP project.

      However, it is a good question indeed: What parts of a project should
      be owned
      collectively and what should be owned individually? As many have
      already
      remarked, tasks are good when owned by an individual (or as I prefer a
      programming pair partnership). I myself believe that the project
      process
      should be collectively owned. A coach can guide you and get you going,
      but
      everyone must be aware of the process and how it works. Some will be
      more
      aware than others and that is ok too. As your developers learn what a
      well
      run XP project feels like they will also develop experience in
      recognizing
      when an XP project has gone astray and be able to make adjustments.
      Making
      one person responsible for an entire team is too much.

      Ownership is essentially authority. So yes, just as authority should
      always
      accompany responsibility then ownership should include responsibility.

      Don