RE: [XP] what to hang on the wall

  • Charlie Poole
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 2, 2007
      Hi David,

      > We are now at a stage where we have gone through the whole
      > system and specified user stories. We have planned the first
      > iteration.
      >
      > Now how do we display the "first iteration" with the index cards ?
      >
      > Once the development starts the developers should take the
      > index cards that they are working on from the wall right?
      > Then they are missing from the plan.
      >
      > It should be possible to walk into our project room and get a
      > feeling of the whole project fairly quickly. What other
      > things should we hang on the wall ?

      Others have beat me to the punch on specifics, so I'll focus on
      a question you didn't ask: Who is the wall for?

      IMO, a visible display works best if all or almost all of the items
      on it are things the team believes it needs to see. There can be
      other places to hang up things that management wants to see or wants
      the team to see, but the wall in the team space should belong to
      the team.

      If the team controls the display, then it doesn't matter
      what's on it initially - it will eventually have what it needs. One
      way to facilitate this is to make sure what you do is not too fancy,
      things like carefully etched boundary lines tend to hold people back
      from making changes.

      On my team walls, I've had some or all of the following at different
      times...

      * Story card display
      * Theme of the iteration
      * Burndown chart