Re: [XP] what to hang on the wall

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 2, 2007
      Hello, David. On Sunday, April 1, 2007, at 11:21:43 PM, you wrote:

      > We are now at a stage where we have gone through the whole system and
      > specified user stories. We have planned the first iteration.

      > Now how do we display the "first iteration" with the index cards ?

      > Once the development starts the developers should take the index cards that
      > they are working on from the wall right? Then they are missing from the
      > plan.

      Many teams that I observe have three "areas" on the wall for the
      iteration:
      Not yet started;
      In process;
      Done.

      They move the cards from one place to the next as appropriate.

      If there is so much written on a story card that the dev wants to
      carry it around, then there may be too much on it. I'd think about
      that, and meanwhile make a placeholder card with the name of the
      story and use it as above.

      > It should be possible to walk into our project room and get a feeling of the
      > whole project fairly quickly. What other things should we hang on the wall ?

      That's up to you. This article may give some ideas, and the way to
      go is to post what you, the team, currently want to communicate.
      (And if there is anything you DON'T want to communicate, you should
      probably post that too. ;-> )

      Oops, forgot the link:
      http://www.xprogramming.com/xpmag/BigVisibleCharts.htm

      You are to act in the light of experience as guided by intelligence.
      -- Nero Wolfe
    • J. B. Rainsberger
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 2, 2007
        David Winslow wrote:

        > We are now at a stage where we have gone through the whole system and
        > specified user stories. We have planned the first iteration.
        >
        > Now how do we display the "first iteration" with the index cards ?

        I like a big board with columns for

        * Not started
        * We have some customer tests/Ready to start
        * Started
        * Pending customer acceptance
        * Shipped

        and a special column for

        * Stuck (waiting for someone/something outside the team)

        The cards start on the left and move to the right as we make progress.
        You can either pin cards to a bulletin board or affix Post-It brand
        index cards to the wall.

        > Once the development starts the developers should take the index cards that
        > they are working on from the wall right? Then they are missing from the
        > plan.

        They don't have to take the card. I've tried both and not noticed a
        difference between taking the card and making a local copy for myself.

        > It should be possible to walk into our project room and get a feeling of the
        > whole project fairly quickly. What other things should we hang on the wall ?

        Any other things you're measuring, like time lost to crappy version
        control system or time between question and answer or customer tests
        passing so far. Another would be your coding standards--Google "java
        coding standard on one page" for an example.

        That should give you enough to get started. The team will pull the rest
        of you as it notices things are missing.

        Of course, don't forget fun things, like Dilbert cartoons or whatever
        the local humor is.

        Take care.
        Your guide to software craftsmanship
      • Bob Koss
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 2, 2007
          In addition to the columns that Ron and JB mentioned, I like to have
          columns for the stories in the next few iterations. The content of
          these can change at the customer's discretion, but it shows that the
          team knows where they are going.

          ---
          Robert S. Koss, Ph. D.
          Senior Consultant
          www.objectmentor.com
        • Desilets, Alain
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 2, 2007
            In addition to User Story cards, I would put up a couple of posters that
            provide the "big picture" for the system. Things like:

            - 3-5 bottom line goals of the gold owner (why is he paying us to build
            this thing in the first place)
            - 3-5 bottom line goals of the end user (why the hell would he want to
            use this thing anyway?)

            These things provide context for the story cards. If you read a story
            card and you can't see how it relates fairly directly to one of those
            big picture things, then you probably don't understand the story, or
            maybe the story is wrong altogether. Either way, that's a sure sign to
            go talk to the person who wrote the story.

            Alain

          • Charlie Poole
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 2, 2007
              Hi David,

              > We are now at a stage where we have gone through the whole
              > system and specified user stories. We have planned the first
              > iteration.
              >
              > Now how do we display the "first iteration" with the index cards ?
              >
              > Once the development starts the developers should take the
              > index cards that they are working on from the wall right?
              > Then they are missing from the plan.
              >
              > It should be possible to walk into our project room and get a
              > feeling of the whole project fairly quickly. What other
              > things should we hang on the wall ?

              Others have beat me to the punch on specifics, so I'll focus on
              a question you didn't ask: Who is the wall for?

              IMO, a visible display works best if all or almost all of the items
              on it are things the team believes it needs to see. There can be
              other places to hang up things that management wants to see or wants
              the team to see, but the wall in the team space should belong to
              the team.

              If the team controls the display, then it doesn't matter
              what's on it initially - it will eventually have what it needs. One
              way to facilitate this is to make sure what you do is not too fancy,
              things like carefully etched boundary lines tend to hold people back
              from making changes.

              On my team walls, I've had some or all of the following at different
              times...

              * Story card display
              * Theme of the iteration
              * Burndown chart