Re: [XP] UI Changes and communication to QA

  • Steven Gordon
    Message 1 of 77 , Apr 1, 2007
      On 4/1/07, dnicolet99 <dnicolet@...> wrote:

      > --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "Steven Gordon"
      > <sgordonphd@...> wrote:
      > >

      > > Where I have seen seemingly insurmountable problems with Windows
      > Forms are
      > > the use of opaque 3rd party GUI widgets. If you can convince the
      > team to
      > > consider testability an absolute requirement when deciding on 3rd party
      > > widgets, that helps a great deal.
      > >

      > I thought it was a rule of thumb to test our own code, and not to test
      > "framework" or "plumbing" code. Third-party widgets are to be tested
      > by the third party that writes them. No?

      This would be only true for unit tests.

      I was under the impression we were discussing automating application
      acceptance tests through the GUI instead of below the GUI (e.g.,
      FitNesse). Opaque controls can often be an impediment to automating
      that the application is putting the right info on the GUI and is
      responding to user interactions appropriately via the GUI.

      Steve
    • dnicolet99
      Message 77 of 77 , Apr 4, 2007
        --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "Kelly Anderson"
        <kellycoinguy@...> wrote:

        > TDD is valuable, but at some point it can just become zealotry or
        > religion. Diminishing returns have to be acknowledged to maintain
        > efficiency.
        >
        > -Kelly

        Isn't it unfortunate that it is necessary to say that at all? So many
        people forget that everything has a context.

        Dave