Replying to: Workshops

  • Matt Heusser
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 6, 2007
      >The problem is that while I am able to successfully deliver a
      >presentation on e.g. introduction Agile so that people won't fall
      >asleep, running a useful "real" workshop is a new thing to me.
      >Actually I haven't even participated many workshops myself.

      I'd suggest starting with the planning game exercise:

      http://csis.pace.edu/~bergin/xp/planninggame.html

      It's also sometimes called an 'Extreme Hour':

      http://c2.com/xp/ExtremeHour.html
      and
      http://www.oqube.com/services/agile/xphour.html

      Strictly speaking, these are simulations, not workshops.

      If it's a first time ever meeting, I'd start with a 20-odd minute
      introduction and run a simulation, then have a guided discussion of what
      people learned. Then perhaps you share an insight and get people to debate
      it.

      Once people grok the concept of participative learning, you ask them to
      present ideas at the next workshop. Require them to write a paper.

      In my experience, the context-driven testing community does participative
      workshops extremely well. Where are you located? There may be a peer
      workshop near you that you could attend. Michael Bolton, a leading member of
      the context-driven community, gets out to Bangalaroo quite a bit ...

      Regards,

      --
      Matthew Heusser,
      Web: http://www.xndev.com Blog: http://xndev.blogspot.com