Re: [XP] Re: The nature of executive "pushback" to agile technologies?

    Message 1 of 119 , Mar 2, 2007
      Hello, Chris. On Friday, March 2, 2007, at 10:30:05 AM, you wrote:

      > You don't need to believe it, but just because you don't believe it doesn't
      > mean it's false. I've learned that I can make something happen if I want it
      > to happen. Teams are no different. Agile teams are no different. Agility is
      > about making something happen for the better of the business.

      You can make some things happen. Can you make anything they want
      happen? If so ... can I have one of your extra Ferraris?

      I'm sure you have a good point in here somewhere but if it is "I can
      do whatever they ask of me no matter what", which is what I'm
      hearing over here ... I just don't believe it. I don't believe
      anyone can do any arbitrary thing, and in my long career I've been
      exposed to a lot of arbitrary things.

      I could have done much better with those things, primarily by
      carving them down, working in priority order, and showing what
      progress is. But I still can't create an operating system equivalent
      to Windows in a day. Nor, I would guess, can anyone else here.

      Ron gave me a good suggestion once. -- Carlton (banshee858)
    • Steve Ropa
      Message 119 of 119 , Mar 6, 2007
        Oh, darn. I was just thinking I should create a rule that automatically
        deletes anything that comes in! So close! Oh well.

        Sorting your email as it comes in is an excellent way to triage what is
        important, what can wait, and what just doesn't matter.

        One approach I learned as a stockbroker (albeit with paper instead of email)
        is to automatically sort everything that comes in into its proper folder if
        it has one. Anything left in the inbox can wait until you have taken care
        of all of the sorted mail. Then, once a month, just wholesale delete
        everything in the main inbox. If it wasn't categorizable (not a real word),
        and you hadn't already acted on it, it couldn't have been important anyway.

        Anyway, I can tell that I currently have enough slack, because I can spend
        time arguing the merits of an empty inbox..

        _____