Re: [XP] Funny / Sad Waterfall story

  • William Pietri
    Message 1 of 41 , Mar 1, 2007
      Cory Foy wrote:
      > I personally have had PMs call me to work through weekends, when working
      > through weekends wouldn't help us one bit towards making our goal,
      > except creating some magical aura that we are "doing everything we can"
      > - including burning out our employees to "ship on time". So I completely
      > agree with you.

      Yep. I think of this as the "if you ain't sweatin', you ain't workin'"
      school of management. And although I disagree with it, I understand it.

      Software development has to be a horrible thing for a generalist to
      manage, at least in a waterfall context. You just see these guys sitting
      there typing away. Things always look the same. Whenever you try to
      measure their productivity in ways that seem obvious to you, you get
      yelled at. (And that's if you're lucky.) And then the deadline comes and
      they never deliver anyhow.

      The obvious conclusion is that if they'd only work harder, they'd be
      done on time. Obvious and wrong, we know, but temptingly obvious.

      William

      --
      William Pietri - william@... - +1-415-643-1024
      Agile consulting, coaching, and development: http://www.scissor.com/
      Message 41 of 41 , Mar 1, 2007
        Cory Foy wrote:

        >I personally have had PMs call me to work through weekends, when working
        >through weekends wouldn't help us one bit towards making our goal,
        >except creating some magical aura that we are "doing everything we can"
        >- including burning out our employees to "ship on time". So I completely
        >agree with you.

        The problem there was letting PMs have a man-management role!

        Ian