Re: [XP] Funny / Sad Waterfall story

  • Cory Foy
    Message 1 of 41 , Mar 1, 2007
      dnicolet99 wrote:
      > At the risk of starting to sound like the old Monty Python routine
      > about the four old men one-upping each other about their tough
      > childhoods, some of this reminds me of the way we used to work in IT
      > back in the 1970s and 1980s. We used to do 80+ hour weeks routinely.
      > It was just considered "professional" and it was expected.

      First, it was very disheartening to hear about mandatory management
      overtime from Gary.

      Second, 40 hours is just an arbitary number. As others have pointed out,
      some cultures have 50 hours weeks being the norm. And that's why I like
      the concept of sustainable pace so much - it allows for occasional
      pushes (even though they should be viewed as signs of a larger problem),
      and allow teams to set the pace to what works for them.

      In fact, it would be a heck of an exercise to see a team that felt that
      could sustain development best at 30 hours a week, not 40. Those are the
      kinds of ingrained boundaries that are interesting to watch challenged.

      > Frankly, I'm
      > astonished that so many people in our industry still believe that's
      > the right way to go about it.

      I just finished reading the "easpouse" blog post - I had heard about
      EA's practices, but that was utterly, amazingly stupid (or brilliant if
      this is an MBA class).

      I personally have had PMs call me to work through weekends, when working
      through weekends wouldn't help us one bit towards making our goal,
      except creating some magical aura that we are "doing everything we can"
      - including burning out our employees to "ship on time". So I completely
      agree with you.

      --
      Cory Foy
      http://www.cornetdesign.com
      Message 41 of 41 , Mar 1, 2007
        Cory Foy wrote:

        >I personally have had PMs call me to work through weekends, when working
        >through weekends wouldn't help us one bit towards making our goal,
        >except creating some magical aura that we are "doing everything we can"
        >- including burning out our employees to "ship on time". So I completely
        >agree with you.

        The problem there was letting PMs have a man-management role!

        Ian