Re: The nature of executive "pushback" to agile technologies?

  • ryanpcooper
    Message 1 of 119 , Mar 1, 2007
      I think it would be hard to market the energy drink if you sed rocket
      technology to get to the top of Everest. :)

      That nitpick aside, I completely agree with you. It was not obvious
      from your original post that this was your point of view.

      I was afraid that you were one of those people whose first response to
      a deadline/scope combination is "we can do it, boss", even when it
      really *is* impossible.

      Cheers,
      Ryan

      --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Wheeler"
      <christopher.wheeler@...> wrote:

      > If the ROI is tens of millions, then perhaps $3-$10 million dollars
      invested
      > in some rocket-powered vehicle would do the trick.
      >
      > I've been in these situations, and at first things don't seem
      realistic. As
      > Steve R. said earlier, sometimes it's good to say no, it can't be
      done. But
      > don't be surprised if you are asked the question 'How can we get it
      done?'.
      > I'm paid to figure out how to deliver that thing and make the
      company money,
      > not to complain about how impossible something is. To me, the most
      powerful
      > tool in the agilist's handbag is customer bartering - getting to the
      essence
      > of a feature, and delivering the simplest thing that fulfills that
      essence.
      > And then moving onto getting customer feedback around that feature.
      9 time
      > out of 10, the impossible is delivered.
      >
      > Chris.
      >
      > On 3/1/07, ryanpcooper <ryan.p.cooper@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Here's the business value: I get tens of millions in free advertising
      > > for my new 'energy drink' when you make it to the top of Everest in
      > > record time.
      > >
      > > Now tell me how you are going to get to the top of Everest in 3 hours.
      > >
      > > My point, which I seem to have failed to communicate effectively, is
      > > that there IS something wrong with setting a goal and a date, and
      > > expecting the team to tell you how they're going to do it, if it's
      > > completely unrealistic. The goal/date combinations provided to
      > > software development teams often are.
      > >
      > > Cheers,
      > > Ryan
      > >
      > > --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Wheeler"
      > > <christopher.wheeler@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I think you missed the point - that may not be based on business
      > > needs. I
      > > > said, presume goal and date are business driven.

      Presuming

      > > > --
      > > > --
      > > > Chris Wheeler
      > > > chriswheeler.blogspot.com
      > > > coach, programmer & practitioner

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      > Chris Wheeler
      > chriswheeler.blogspot.com
      > coach, programmer & practitioner

    • Steve Ropa
      Message 119 of 119 , Mar 6, 2007
        Oh, darn. I was just thinking I should create a rule that automatically
        deletes anything that comes in! So close! Oh well.

        Sorting your email as it comes in is an excellent way to triage what is
        important, what can wait, and what just doesn't matter.

        One approach I learned as a stockbroker (albeit with paper instead of email)
        is to automatically sort everything that comes in into its proper folder if
        it has one. Anything left in the inbox can wait until you have taken care
        of all of the sorted mail. Then, once a month, just wholesale delete
        everything in the main inbox. If it wasn't categorizable (not a real word),
        and you hadn't already acted on it, it couldn't have been important anyway.

        Anyway, I can tell that I currently have enough slack, because I can spend
        time arguing the merits of an empty inbox..

        _____