Re: The nature of executive "pushback" to agile technologies?

  • ryanpcooper
    Message 1 of 119 , Mar 1, 2007
      Here's the business value: I get tens of millions in free advertising
      for my new 'energy drink' when you make it to the top of Everest in
      record time.

      Now tell me how you are going to get to the top of Everest in 3 hours.

      My point, which I seem to have failed to communicate effectively, is
      that there IS something wrong with setting a goal and a date, and
      expecting the team to tell you how they're going to do it, if it's
      completely unrealistic. The goal/date combinations provided to
      software development teams often are.

      Cheers,
      Ryan

      --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Wheeler"
      <christopher.wheeler@...> wrote:

      > I think you missed the point - that may not be based on business
      needs. I
      > said, presume goal and date are business driven.
      >
      > On 3/1/07, ryanpcooper <ryan.p.cooper@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > What's wrong with me telling you I expect you to climb mount everest
      > > in 3 hours, and expecting you to tell me how you are going to do it?
      > >
      > > ;)
      > >
      > > --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Wheeler"
      > > <christopher.wheeler@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > What's wrong with setting a goal and a date, and expecting a team to
      > > tell
      > > > you how they are going to meet that goal and that date? Presuming
      > > that the
      > > > goal and the date are both driven by business needs?
      > > >
      > > > Chris.

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      > Chris Wheeler
      > chriswheeler.blogspot.com
      > coach, programmer & practitioner

    • Steve Ropa
      Message 119 of 119 , Mar 6, 2007
        Oh, darn. I was just thinking I should create a rule that automatically
        deletes anything that comes in! So close! Oh well.

        Sorting your email as it comes in is an excellent way to triage what is
        important, what can wait, and what just doesn't matter.

        One approach I learned as a stockbroker (albeit with paper instead of email)
        is to automatically sort everything that comes in into its proper folder if
        it has one. Anything left in the inbox can wait until you have taken care
        of all of the sorted mail. Then, once a month, just wholesale delete
        everything in the main inbox. If it wasn't categorizable (not a real word),
        and you hadn't already acted on it, it couldn't have been important anyway.

        Anyway, I can tell that I currently have enough slack, because I can spend
        time arguing the merits of an empty inbox..

        _____