Re: [XP] Attracting good developers

  • Doug South
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 1, 2007
      Hi Manuel,

      This goes a bit beyond what you are asking, but I think it worth
      considering.

      http://blogs.atlassian.com/rebelutionary/archives/2007/03/life_is_a_hire_way_5_tips_for_startup_hi.html

      The first point talks about how hiring is marketing. We've been thinking
      about this at Ephox for a long time now and I'd say we've come to the same
      conclusions as Mike. In fact, we've just had a discussion this morning about
      starting a Fun at Work blog we could start to share the enjoyment we have
      during business hours.

      For example, we had to set up a new server to run VMWare sessions that would
      be used for demos. It came time to name the box and we started quickly
      tossing around a few ideas. One of the servers here is an old Gateway
      computer called bigcow, so Adrian suggested littlepony. At which my brain
      thinks this is a demo box and the name should reflect this and out pops
      showpony! And the first VMWare session to run on in is called mylittlepony.

      The question is, do you think someone looking for a job that might consider
      us would consider us stronger if they knew what it was like to work with us?
      I'd like to think so.

      (Hey Adrian, I finally found a place to talk about the server! 8) ).

      Regards,
      Doug
      --
      blog = http://www.trontos.com/dsouth/blog/

    • Adrian Sutton
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 1, 2007
        On 02/03/2007, at 7:47 AM, Doug South wrote:
        > The first point talks about how hiring is marketing. We've been
        > thinking
        > about this at Ephox for a long time now and I'd say we've come to
        > the same
        > conclusions as Mike. In fact, we've just had a discussion this
        > morning about
        > starting a Fun at Work blog we could start to share the enjoyment
        > we have
        > during business hours.

        In fact, we've started working towards this by encouraging people to
        blog and bundling them all up in one place: http://planet.ephox.com/
        It's useful for getting our name out there and showing people how
        cool is it to work here, but also works as a team building and
        company communication tool as well.

        > (Hey Adrian, I finally found a place to talk about the server! 8) ).

        Yeah, I figured you would eventually. :)

        Cheers,

        Adrian Sutton
        http://www.symphonious.net