Customers/Requirements Issues ...

  • Matt Heusser
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2007
      >Fortunately I think this is changing rapidly, and there is a growing
      >body of experience on how to apply UCDish methods agilly to help with
      >the "Buiding the Right Thing" part.

      Heh. I know what you mean. It seems to be that most requirements
      descriptions are either:

      A) Definitional. You leave having memorized a bunch of words, and this
      decreases some communication friction, but you may not know how to apply
      them. For example, the students learn the difference between implicit and
      explicit requirements, but do they really know how to help pull ides out of
      some one's head and get them on paper? Probably not.

      B) Process-Focused. Do X, Y, and Z - "First interview the customer, then
      write the requirements, then have a review step" doesn't tell anyone how to
      do those things *WELL*. In my experience, a lot of the process literature
      focuses on change control, like the planning game, and not the requirements
      "gathering" part.

      C) Template-Driven. "Just fill out this template, and you'll be fine."
      This is all kinds of bad for all kinds of reasons. Joel Spolsky does a
      pretty good job of describing this in this article:
      http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000033.html (Scroll to the
      bottom)

      In my honest opinion, there is a real lack of this in the software
      literature. Jerry Weinberg has a good book on requirements, and he used to
      even do workshops, but he is now semi-retired and focused on writing, not
      software requirements.

      So, me? I am doing something about it.

      I will be presenting a workshop on how to figure out what needs to be built
      and communicate it in Indianapolis next month:

      http://www.xndev.com/downloads/Requirements%20Workshop%20Flyer.pdf

      If you are interested, I am now booking for 2008 as well ...

      Regards,

      Matthew Heusser
      xndev.blogspot.com

    • Donald Roby
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2007
        --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Heusser"
        <matt.heusser@...> wrote:

        > In my honest opinion, there is a real lack of this in the software
        > literature. Jerry Weinberg has a good book on requirements, and he
        used to
        > even do workshops, but he is now semi-retired and focused on
        writing, not
        > software requirements.
        >
        > So, me? I am doing something about it.
        >
        > I will be presenting a workshop on how to figure out what needs to
        be built
        > and communicate it in Indianapolis next month:
        >
        > http://www.xndev.com/downloads/Requirements%20Workshop%20Flyer.pdf
        >
        > If you are interested, I am now booking for 2008 as well ...

        Better proofread that flyer, it sort of looks like you're advertising
        for 2006! ;-)