Re: [XP] Attracting good developers

  • George Dinwiddie
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 28, 2007
      Chris Hedgate wrote:
      > On 2/28/07, Manuel Klimek <klimek@...> wrote:
      >> How buzzwordy should a job ad be?
      >> Is it better to write "agile" or "XP"?
      >> How do you show to applicants that you've got an open-minded management?
      >
      > I am always skeptical of job descriptions that say "We do agile
      > development" or something similar. Do not mention buzzwords, write
      > what you do instead. Lines like the following would catch my eye:
      >
      > "Be a part of a team that itself is in control of the process it uses."
      > "In the last six months we have released three times and our customer
      > have been actively using the software since the first release."
      >
      > I think you could come up with a lot of similar ones that match your context.

      I would still stick the word "agile" in there. It's an easy word to
      grep for in the job listings.

      - George

    • Doug South
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 1, 2007
        Hi Manuel,

        This goes a bit beyond what you are asking, but I think it worth
        considering.

        http://blogs.atlassian.com/rebelutionary/archives/2007/03/life_is_a_hire_way_5_tips_for_startup_hi.html

        The first point talks about how hiring is marketing. We've been thinking
        about this at Ephox for a long time now and I'd say we've come to the same
        conclusions as Mike. In fact, we've just had a discussion this morning about
        starting a Fun at Work blog we could start to share the enjoyment we have
        during business hours.

        For example, we had to set up a new server to run VMWare sessions that would
        be used for demos. It came time to name the box and we started quickly
        tossing around a few ideas. One of the servers here is an old Gateway
        computer called bigcow, so Adrian suggested littlepony. At which my brain
        thinks this is a demo box and the name should reflect this and out pops
        showpony! And the first VMWare session to run on in is called mylittlepony.

        The question is, do you think someone looking for a job that might consider
        us would consider us stronger if they knew what it was like to work with us?
        I'd like to think so.

        (Hey Adrian, I finally found a place to talk about the server! 8) ).

        Regards,
        Doug
        --
        blog = http://www.trontos.com/dsouth/blog/

      • Adrian Sutton
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 1, 2007
          On 02/03/2007, at 7:47 AM, Doug South wrote:
          > The first point talks about how hiring is marketing. We've been
          > thinking
          > about this at Ephox for a long time now and I'd say we've come to
          > the same
          > conclusions as Mike. In fact, we've just had a discussion this
          > morning about
          > starting a Fun at Work blog we could start to share the enjoyment
          > we have
          > during business hours.

          In fact, we've started working towards this by encouraging people to
          blog and bundling them all up in one place: http://planet.ephox.com/
          It's useful for getting our name out there and showing people how
          cool is it to work here, but also works as a team building and
          company communication tool as well.

          > (Hey Adrian, I finally found a place to talk about the server! 8) ).

          Yeah, I figured you would eventually. :)

          Cheers,

          Adrian Sutton
          http://www.symphonious.net