[XP] Re: Fw: [extremeprogramming] Parallel Version Development: Branching& Merging

  • jorg.schaible@db.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2000
      Hi ,

      I tried your example and Perforce was able to solve the conflict automatically
      (and correct). The big advantage of Perforce is a very enhanced branching
      mechanism, called "Inter-File Branching". Perforce is able to do so, because the
      RCS archives are just used for compatibility to a standard, but the meta
      information (e.g. what has merged once) is kept in an own database. Therefore
      Perforce is able to do a real 3-way-merge of the correct file versions.

      The big difference between Perforce and CVS is that Perforce is based on
      changelists i.e. all files that belong to a change are tied together. Submitting
      the change is only possible if all files could have been checked in without any
      conflict (atomar operation). Based on this changelists you are able to integrate
      deltas from one changelist to another into another branch.

      What I have done for this example (hope I did not forget something):

      # Add new file to changelist, submit changelist
      p4 add test_main.cxx
      p4 submit

      # Create the branch
      p4 integrate test_main.cxx test_branch.cxx
      p4 submit

      # Edit the main stream
      p4 edit test_main.cxx
      p4 submit

      # Fix the bug in the branch
      p4 edit test_branch.cxx
      p4 submit

      # Transfer the fix into the main stream
      p4 integrate test_branch.cxx test_main.cxx
      p4 resolve -am test_main.cxx
      p4 submit

      Regards,
      Jörg

      BTW: No, I am not working for Perforce, I just like it :))

      ---------------------------------------- Message History

      From: glew@... on 02/02/2000 16:02

      Please respond to glew@...

      To: Jorg Schaible/DMGIB/DMG UK/DeuBa
      cc:
      Subject: Fw: [XP] Re: [extremeprogramming] Parallel Version Development:
      Branching& Merging

      Quickly checking PerForce's web pages, I do not see what you mean.

      Perforce is file based, RCS based.

      E.g. if you have

      class A {
      void method1() {
      blah
      blarg
      blast
      }
      }

      class B {
      }

      and then you move metho1 from A to B

      class A {
      void method1() {
      someB.method1()
      }
      }

      class B {
      void method1() {
      blah
      blarg
      blast
      }
      }

      then if you have a patch against the pre-move code, making it

      class A {
      void method1() {
      blah
      blarg
      bother
      blast
      }
      }

      then I don't think that perforce will be smat enough to figure out that
      what you need now is

      class A {
      void method1() {
      someB.method1()
      }
      }

      class B {
      void method1() {
      blah
      blarg
      bother
      blast
      }
      }

      Instead, Perforce will just report it as a conflict for manual resolution.

      Am I missing anything?

      From: bgervin@... on 01/02/2000 18:58

      Please respond to extremeprogramming@egroups.com

      To: extremeprogramming@egroups.com
      cc:
      Subject: [extremeprogramming] Parallel Version Development: Branching & Merging

      Get what you deserve with NextCard Visa! Rates as low as 2.9%
      Intro or 9.9% Fixed APR, online balance transfers, Rewards Points,
      no hidden fees, and much more! Get NextCard today and get the
      credit youdeserve! Apply now! Get your NextCard Visa at:
      http://click.egroups.com/1/912/0/_/263270/_/949490048/

      -- http://www.egroups.com/VoiceChatPage?listName=extremeprogramming&m=1