Re: [XP] Pair Programming Article...oh boy!

  • Jeff Langr
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 2, 2007
      Quoting Susan Davis <sue@...>:
      > I agree with the author that not everyone is an extrovert. *I'm* an
      > introvert, in fact. I disagree, though, with his unspoken assumption
      > that extroverts communicate and introverts are silent. I've paired
      > with plenty of introverts who I've really connected with... and a
      > number of extroverts who have steered conversations off in non-germane
      > directions, or who have clammed up or disconnected entirely and sat
      > there and fidgeted.

      I'm an introvert, yet also probably guilty of repeating this
      assumption in an unspoken manner. I'll happily attest to the fact that
      you don't have to be an extrovert in order to enjoy pairing or do it
      well. Most people aren't as unmanageably extroverted as, say, a Mr
      Stephens, and I'd have to say I haven't seen a lot of cases where an
      extrovert has run roughshod over an introvert (it does happen).

      I think the important thing is to recognize that some people need
      coaching in order to learn how to pair properly. I'll agree with Mr
      Stephens that mandating 100% pairing isn't a great idea, but his
      suggestion that only "occasional" pairing works is rubbish.

      Jeff
      http://langrsoft.com
      Agile Java: Crafting Code With Test-Driven Development
    • William Tozier
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 2, 2007
        On Feb 2, 2007, at 1:02 PM, Susan Davis wrote:

        > I agree with the author that not everyone is an extrovert. *I'm* an
        > introvert, in fact. I disagree, though, with his unspoken assumption
        > that extroverts communicate and introverts are silent. I've paired
        > with plenty of introverts who I've really connected with... and a
        > number of extroverts who have steered conversations off in non-germane
        > directions, or who have clammed up or disconnected entirely and sat
        > there and fidgeted.

        One of the cardinal characteristics of many *talkative* introverts
        (like me) is that we are exhausted by engagement. Not that we don't
        like it, and not that it doesn't energize and enhance us while we're
        in the middle of it. It's just tiring. I need about 1:1 downtime for
        each hour spent in conversation and talking, especially if it's
        conversational or work flow I'm recovering from.

        A good friend who seems to understand the psychodynamics better than
        I do once called extroverts "people who don't actually pay attention
        to what other people are doing in response."
        -----
        Bill Tozier
        AIM: vaguery@...
        blog: http://williamtozier.com/slurry
        plazes: http://beta.plazes.com/user/BillTozier
        skype: vaguery

        "Nature, however picturesque, never yet made a poet of a dullard."
        --Hjalmar Hjorth Boyesen
      • Gary Brown
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 2, 2007
          Quoting Jeff Langr <jeff@...>:

          Hi, Jeff!

          > I'm an introvert,

          Introvert?!? The folks here thought you were warm, friendly, and fun,
          not to mention a great teacher!

          > Most people aren't as unmanageably extroverted as, say, a Mr Stephens,

          Most people aren't as selfish as, say, a Mr Stephens ...

          GB.